29 Sickened in Salmonella Outbreak Potentially linked to Peanut Butter Recalled by Trader Joe'sSep 24, 2012 | Parker Waichman LLP
Retailer Trader Joe’s has issued a recall on its Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter because it may be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.
The company said it is not aware of anyone becoming ill after eating the peanut butter product included in the recall and that its action is being taken out of “utmost caution and care,” according to a statement released by the company on Saturday.
The details included in the statement from Trader Joe’s are vague. The company says it has no tests showing that a sample of the product had tested positive for Salmonella poisoning. It also indicated that “no confirmed illnesses directly linked to this product” have been reported to the company.
Prior to issuing the recall, Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter was pulled from Trader Joe’s store shelves across the country. Consumers may likely have this product in their kitchen pantries however, and the company says the recall includes 16-ounce plastic jars of the peanut butter. Any Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter product is included in the recall, meaning all expiration dates. Consumers are being advised not to eat the product to avoid potential salmonella poisoning.
Trader Joe’s says that it has ceased production of Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter in conjunction with the call-back on it. It will not resume production until the company, in conjunction with the Food and Drug Administration, has conducted an investigation into the potential source of the bacteria.
Most cases of salmonella poisoning won’t require medical attention and may be marked by symptoms like abdominal pain, nausea, headaches, vomiting, and diarrhea. Certain people may develop more serious symptoms that require hospitalization for treatment. Children, the elderly, and those with weaker immune systems are those most likely to be affected by more severe symptoms.
Several years ago, a salmonella outbreak linked to peanut butter distributed by the now-defunct Peanut Corporation of America led to nine deaths and nearly 700 confirmed illnesses in all but four states.