447,000 Defective Baby Car Seats RecalledDec 21, 2009 | Parker Waichman LLP
Dorel Juvenile Group Inc. has recalled 447,000 infant car seats that pose a fall hazard. According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), the car seat/carriers involved in this recall include those sold under the following brand names: Safety 1st, Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Disney.
These defective car seat/carriers were manufactured from January 6, 2008 through April 6, 2009. The recall involves the following products:
- Safety 1st Sojourn Travel System, with model numbers 22-057 DBY, 22-085 DWA, 22-057 CLN, 22-057 HRT, 22-322 HRR, 22-322 PTK, 22-057 LPH, and 22-085 LYN.
- Safety 1st Eurostar Travel System with model numbers 22-322 KDL, 22-322 LXI, 22-322 OLY, 22-322 PRS, 22-322 MAI, 22-325 COB, and 22-095 RBK.
- Safety 1st Lite Wave Travel System with model numbers 22-380 LGA and 22-380 MSA.
- Safety 1st Vector Travel System with model numbers 22-627 WAV and 22-325 PAC.
- Cosco Sprint Travel System with model numbers 22-300 FZN, 22-300 OSF, 22-300 CSF, 22-300 JJV, 22-300 THD, and 22-300 TWD.
- Disney Propack Travel System with model numbers 22-627 AWF, 22-355 LBF, 22-305 NAB, 22-305 PPH, and 22-355 PWK.
- Eddie Bauer Adventurer Travel System with model numbers 22-627 CGT, 22-627 FRK, 22-627 SNW and 22-627 WPR.
- Eddie Bauer Endeavor Travel System with model numbers 22-627 KGS and 22-655 YTE.
According to the recall notice, when used as an infant carrier, the child restraint handle to the car seat can loosen and come off, posing a fall hazard to infants. Dorel has received 77 reports of the child restraint handle fully or partially coming off the car seat/carrier resulting in at least three injuries to infants including bumps, bruises and a head injury.
Parents and caregivers should contact Dorel Juvenile Group to receive a free repair kit. Consumers should not use the handle of the car seat/carrier until the repair kit has been installed, however, it can still be used as a car seat when properly installed in the vehicle.
According to the recall notice, the car seat/carriers were sold with Travel Systems. The stroller portion of the travel system is not affected by this recall.
For additional information, contact Dorel Juvenile Group at (866) 762-3316 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.djgusa.com/safety_notice.