Baby's Prescription Was Four Times Recommended
Zoey Jones Had Stomach ProblemsMay 23, 2005 | www.theomahachannel.com A new Omaha mother wants to warn parents about a mistake made on her infant's prescription at a local pharmacy. It made her daughter sick.
Trisha Jones said her 2-month-old daughter, Zoey, had surgery to relieve acid reflux, but after surgery, her daughter continued to suffer.
"She didn't get better, and she cried and cried and cried, so I called the doctor," Jones said.
The doctor's office said it could see Zoey the following day. In the meantime, the office called in a prescription for Zantac.
"I said, 'Well, I have some.' She said, 'How much are you giving her?' 'Three-fourths of a teaspoon like the bottle says.' She said, 'That's way too much.' That's how we figured out she was being overdosed," Jones said.
Zoey was supposed to be getting three-quarters of a milliliter of the medicine. The bottle said to give her three-quarters of a teaspoon nearly four times too much.
"It's horrible. You can't trust your pharmacist," Jones said.
The prescription was filled at the Walgreens at 50th and Center streets. Walgreens' corporate communications released a statement about the mistake: "Errors are rare and we take them very seriously. We're sorry this occurred, and we apologized to the family. We have a multi-step prescription filling process, with numerous safety checks in each step to reduce the chance of human error. We will investigate what happened with this patient, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again."
Doctors tested Zoey's blood and urine to make sure the medication had not done any damage. Jones said her baby will be OK, but she has this warning for parents: double check your child's prescriptions.
"I just want everybody to know, just because the pharmacy gives it to you, doesn't mean it's right," Jones said.
Jones has filed a complaint with the State Health Department against the Walgreens pharmacy at 50th and Center.