Contact Us

Clergy Abuse (DNU)
*    Denotes required field.

   * First Name 

   * Last Name 

   * Email 


Cell Phone 

Street Address 

Zip Code 



State of occurrence: 

When did the abuse occur? 

Name of religious institution (organization) where abuse occurred:

   * Please describe your case:

For verification purposes, please answer the below question:

No Yes, I agree to the Parker Waichman LLP disclaimers. Click here to review.

Yes, I would like to receive the Parker Waichman LLP monthly newsletter, InjuryAlert.

please do not fill out the field below.

Boston Archdiocese To Sell Properties

Dec 23, 2002 | AP Officials in Boston's embattled Roman Catholic Archdiocese have made steps to both select church property to sell to settle claims of priest sexual abuse and also marshal a legal strategy to get the cases dismissed on First Amendment grounds.

Church lawyers planned to file a motion Monday arguing that the Constitution's guarantee of freedom of religion precludes state action in the abuse scandal.

Bishop Richard G. Lennon, apostolic administrator of the archdiocese, said the motion was being filed to satisfy insurance companies' requirements that the church avail itself of every significant defense before contributing to the settlement of claims.

If upheld by Superior Court Judge Constance Sweeney, more than 400 claims that could cost the church millions of dollars would be thrown out. Sweeney set Monday as the deadline for filing the motion.

Meanwhile, Lennon said he was hopeful the church could settle the lawsuits by selling some of its real estate holdings and by using insurance money.

Lennon said he has selected church properties for sale, and has directed church officials to put them on the market as soon as possible. However he has not said which properties will be sold.

$90 million now available

A law firm advising the archdiocese has concluded that the church has at least $90 million available for a settlement, most of it through coverage provided by insurance companies.

Lawyers for victims said the legal motion to get the suits rejected was expected and that they expect it will be rejected.

Lennon, in his first news conference last week, said he backs efforts to settle lawsuits accusing church leaders of turning a blind eye to claims that priests molested children.

Still, Lennon would not rule out sending the archdiocese into bankruptcy as the church struggles to find a way to resolve the lawsuits. Before his resignation December 13, Cardinal Bernard F. Law also considered the option.

The Boston Archdiocese isn't the only one struggling with the financial implications of the scandal. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced over the weekend that it has scrapped plans for an $18 million Catholic Heritage Center, citing the abuse crisis, a shaky economy and competition from September 11 charities.

"It would have been insensitive and inappropriate to ask Catholics to contribute to something that is a tribute to the Catholic faith at a time when trust in the church has been shaken," archdiocese spokeswoman Catherine Rossi said.

The project, in the works for nearly two years, would have been the largest archdiocesan museum of its kind. Private donors had pledged more than $6.4 million.

Related articles Other articles
Parker Waichman Accolades And Reviews Best Lawyers Find Us On Avvo