Child's illness linked to peanut butterFeb 27, 2007 | Bismarck Tribune Recalled peanut butter is suspected in a child's illness in Stutsman county.
The child, who is less than 10 years old, was diagnosed with a strain of salmonella similar to the strain responsible for the outbreak linked to peanut butter, said Kirby Kruger, North Dakota Department of Health epidemiologist.
"We are not surprised to see we have a case of salmonella potentially linked to peanut butter," Kruger said. "The good news is that the child is recovering."
The child was not hospitalized. He had eaten Peter Pan peanut butter before becoming ill. Peter Pan and Great Value brands were affected by the salmonella outbreak.
Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting and fever.
"The symptoms are similar to those caused by other bacteria and viruses," Kruger said.
The only way to tell is to grow the virus from a sample, he said. The department of health did lab tests on the sample, and it will test the peanut butter.
Children and the elderly are particularly susceptible to salmonella. It can infect the bloodstream and can cause a person to be hospitalized.
The peanut butter affected by the outbreak is Great Value peanut butter with lot number 2111 or Peter Pan peanut butter purchased since May 2006.
The health department is advising people who ate peanut butter and became ill to visit their healthcare provider and the department of health. The peanut butter should be kept for testing.