Cribs Recalled After Four Babies Become TrappedJun 25, 2008 | Parker Waichman LLP Following the entrapment of four children and injury to two others, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Jardine Enterprises of Taipei, Taiwan, has announced a voluntary recall of approximately 320,000 defective Jardine Cribs. The wooden slats and spindles on the crib can break, which creates a gap, which can then pose an entrapment and strangulation hazard to infants. There have been 42 incidents of crib slats and spindles breaking.
According to the CPSC, the cribs were manufactured in China and Vietnam and sold at KidsWorld, Geoffrey Stores, Toys “R” Us, and Babies “R” Us stores nationwide, and at babiesrus.com, from January 2002 through May 2008 for between $150 and $300. The Mahogany Positano Lifetime Crib, model 0309K00, sold for $450. The item’s model number is printed on the inside of the bottom rail of the headboard or footboard.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the recalled cribs and contact Jardine to receive a full credit toward the purchase of a new crib. Jardine can be reached at (800) 646-4106 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET Saturday and anytime at its Website at www.jardinecribrecall.com.
The recalled Jardine wooden cribs come in a variety of styles and finishes, as follows:
- Drop Side Blue Spindle Crib—Model #BC-23—First Sold 8/2004
- Drop Side Light Blue Spindle Crib—Model #BC-36B—First Sold 8/2005
- Drop Side Sage Spindle Crib—Model #BC-36G—First Sold 7/2005
- Drop Side Pink Spindle Crib—Model #BC-36P—First Sold 7/2005
- Hilton Drop Side Cherry Single Crib—Model #BC-007—First Sold 1/2002
- Windsor Drop Side Cherry Flat Panel Crib—Model #BC-010 and #BC-010C —First Sold 1/2002 and 11/2003, respectively
- Windsor Drop Side Oak/Honey Pine Crib—Model #BC-010HP—First Sold 11/2003
- Hilton Drop Side White Full Panel Crib—Model #BC-010W—First Sold 7/2002
- Windsor Drop Side Dark Pine Single Crib—Model #BC-017—First Sold 1/2002
- Hilton Drop Side Cherry Single Crib—Model #BC-107C—First Sold 3/2005
- Windsor Cherry Single Sleigh Crib—Model #BC-107CR—First Sold 4/2007
- Berkley Drop Side Cherry Flat Panel Single Crib—Model #BC-110C—First Sold 3/2005
- Windsor Drop Side Honey Pine/Honey Single Crib—Model #BC-110HP—First Sold 3/2005
- Berkley Drop Side White Flat Panel Single Crib—Model #BC-110W —First Sold 3/2005
- Wicker 3-in-1 White Crib—Model #DA617BC—First Sold 1/2002
- Haven 3-in-1 Oak/Dark Pine Crib—Model #DA620BC—First Sold 5/2002
- 4-in-1 White Convertible Crib—Model #DA770BC—First Sold 1/2004
- Natural Lifetime Crib—Model # DV730N and #DV830-N —First Sold 9/2003
- and 11/2004, respectively
- White Lifetime Crib—Model # DV730W and #DV830-W—First Sold 8/2003 and 11/2004, respectively
- Drop Side Natural Spindle Crib—Model #0113B00—First Sold 7/2006
- Drop Side Mahogany Spindle Crib—Model #0113K00—First Sold 6/2006
- Berkley Natural Lifetime Crib—Model #0303B00—First Sold 9/2005
- Berkley White Lifetime Crib—Model #0303C00—First Sold 8/2005
- Berkley Cherry Lifetime Crib—Model #0303G00—First Sold 5/2005
- Positano Mahogany Lifetime Crib—Model #0309K00—First Sold 4/2006
Earlier this month, we reported on the third such recall of Bassettbaby cribs where 550 Wendy Bellissimo Hidden Hills Collection Cribs were recalled over an entrapment hazard. The cribs were sold at Babies "R" Us stores nationwide November 2007-February 2008 for about $500 and were manufactured in China.