FEDS INDICT EX-BANKER QUATTRONEMay 13, 2003 | New York Post Fallen CS First Boston banking star Frank Quattrone is looking to stand trial in Manhattan within months after being indicted yesterday on criminal obstruction of justice charges.
Manhattan U.S. Attorney Jim Comey hit Quattrone with the indictment only a day after The Post reported that New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer is conducting his own criminal probe into the banker who helped fuel the ill-fated tech-stock boom.
The feds charged the 47-year-old last month with obstructing an investigation by the SEC, impeding a grand jury probe and witness tampering - counts that carry a maximum prison sentence of 25 years.
The case centers on an e-mail Quattrone allegedly approved urging CSFB employees to destroy documents, even though the company had been subpoenaed.
"Today, it's administrative housekeeping. In January, it could be improper destruction of evidence," the e-mail said, according to the 25-page indictment.
Quattrone would have been due to appear in Manhattan federal court for a preliminary hearing today if he hadn't been indicted.
Quattrone's attorney, John Keker, maintained yesterday that Quattrone was innocent and said he would request a speedy trial. "He is charged with a crime that he did not commit," Keker said.
The appointed judge, Naomi Reice Buchwald, recused herself yesterday, and was replaced by Judge Richard Owen.
Her office declined to comment.
Quattrone is scheduled to be arraigned May 27.
Quattrone resigned from CSFB in March after being placed on administrative leave a month earlier.