Fires Prompt HP FAX RecallJun 30, 2008 | Parker Waichman LLP In its most recent recall, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Hewlett Packard, today announced a voluntary recall of its HP Fax 1010 and 1010xi machines because an internal electrical component failure can cause overheating of the product, which poses a risk of burn or fire.
About 367,000 units—and an additional 84,000 units sold outside of the U.S.—which were imported by Hewlett-Packard Company of Palo Alto, California, have been recalled. To date, Hewlett-Packard has received three reports of overheating including two in the U.S. resulting in minor property damage. No injuries have yet been reported.
According to the CPSC, this recall specifically involves the HP Fax 1010 and the HP Fax 1010xi models which were manufactured from November 2002 through September 2004. The HP logo and the model name and number are printed and can be found on the front of the fax machines which were sold at electronic, computer, and camera stores nationwide, as well as at Web retailers from November 2002 through December 2004. The machines were manufactured in China and retailed for between $130 and $150.
Consumers should immediately disconnect the recalled fax machine from the electrical power source and contact HP to receive a rebate. For additional information, consumers can contact HP toll-free at (888) 654-9296 between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. MT Monday through Friday, or visit HP’s Website at www.hp.com/go/fax1010recall
This is just one in a recent surge of CPSC recalls issued for merchandise manufactured in China and posing a fire hazards to consumers.
Last week, Dollar Tree Inc., of Chesapeake, Virginia recalled approximately 470,000 Crafters Square Hot Melt Mini Glue Guns because the glue guns can short circuit, causing the gun to smoke, which poses a fire hazard and has been linked to four reports of guns short-circuiting. In another recall last week, A.O. Smith Electrical Products Co., of Tipp City, Ohio announced a recall of 6,750 Water Pump Motors and replacement pump motors that, under certain conditions, could overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.
Prior to that, about 102,000 "Thunder Wolf" Remote Controlled Indoor Helicopters were recalled because the toy’s internal rechargeable battery can overheat and cause the helicopter to melt, posing a risk of fires and burns. Westminster received seven reports of overheating or melting, including one report of flames and two reports of property damage. In April, Hobby-Lobby International, Inc. recalled about 3,200 of its lithium-polymer battery chargers and lithium-polymer batteries for its Falcon Helicopter due to fire hazard. Hobby-Lobby received three reports of incidents, including a consumer who received serious burns to his hand when a battery ignited.
In February, about 30,000 of the Remote-Controlled Helicopter Toys-Fun2Fly Microcopter were recalled because the internal battery could catch fire during charging, igniting the helicopter and any combustible materials nearby. Since November 2007, the CPSC received 26 reports of remote-controlled helicopters igniting while being charged and one incident of a helicopter igniting during flight; reports involved minor burns and property damage. Soft Air received six reports of its Remote-Controlled Fun2Fly Microcopter igniting with one reported injury.