Ga. Company Recalls Halogen BulbsJan 31, 2003 | AP
A Georgia company is recalling nearly 600,000 halogen light bulbs that may pose a fire hazard if used in floor lamps or other indoor light fixtures.
Cooper Lighting Inc., of Peachtree City, Ga., has not received any reports of fire or injury involving the bulbs, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday. But the 500-watt light bulbs, which generate very high temperatures, can start a fire if they come into contact with curtains, clothes or other flammable material, the commission said.
The recalled light bulbs, bearing model numbers WM500Q and BP500Q, do not contain warning labels that read, "Warning: Fire Hazard! Do Not Use in Torchieres Or Other Indoor Residential Fixtures." Cooper has asked retailers to add the label to bulb packaging currently on store shelves. All new 500-watt halogen bulbs will contain the label.
The bulbs were sold at Wal-Mart, Lowes and smaller retail outlets nationwide between January 1999 and October 2002.
Consumers can continue using the 500-watt halogen bulbs in outdoor work lights, flood lamps and other outdoor fixtures, the commission said.
Since 1992, halogen floor lamps have caused at least 290 fires and 25 deaths. To meet current safety standards, indoor halogen torchiere lamps must be equipped with a protective glass or wire guard and have a halogen bulb that is 300 watts or less, the commission said.