Lens inventor warns of eye infection riskMay 23, 2006 | www.scottsman.com The man who invented the daily disposable contact lens has warned that anyone who uses a solution to clean their lenses is at risk of serious eye infections.
The warning comes after a contact lens solution used by millions of people worldwide was withdrawn from sale over fears that it could cause blindness.
Ron Hamilton, from Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, today said the risk was not isolated to one type of lens cleaning solution.
He said: "What happens is the bacteria builds up in the cleaning cases because when you put in your modern solutions it doesn't kill all the bacteria.
"If you are asking me if cleaning solutions are dangerous then I would say yes they are, in varying degrees. Some people get by quite adequately with it while others, from time to time, will encounter problems."
One brand of lens cleaner, called Renu with MoistureLoc, was withdrawn from the market this week after its manufacturer admitted the product was linked with a rare fungal eye infection.
The Renu cleaner, made by pharmaceutical giant Bausch & Lomb, was withdrawn after 122 cases of keratitis, a rare fungal infection, were confirmed in the United States. Many of those infected had used the Renu solution.