Listeria Concerns Prompt Alfalfa Sprout RecallApr 10, 2009 | Parker Waichman LLP
Sprouts Recalled Because of Possible Listeria Contamination
Alfalfa sprouts are being recalled today because of possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recall involves Amalgamated Produce, Inc's. (API), Specialty Farms, Vermont Sprout House, Nature’s Promise and BroccoSprouts products. All of the recalled sprouts carry sell by date codes of March 31 through April 27, 2009.
This recall has been issued as a precaution, and API maintains that no illness have been linked to the potentially tainted sprouts. As a result of laboratory analysis, Listeria monocytogenes was detected in a finished product sample collected by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, the company said.
Listeria monocytogenes can cause an cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Recalled Sprout Products
According to API, the following sprout products are subject to the recall:
- Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, UPC Code 8192400052
- Organic Sprout Salad, UPC Code 8192400024
- Organic Spicy Sprouts, UPC Code 8192400058
- Organic Crunchy Sprouts, UPC Code 8192400061
- Organic Crunchy Pea Mix , UPC Code 8192400061
- Organic Clover Sprouts, UPC Code 8192400042
- Lucky Clover Sprouts, UPC Code 8192400091
Vermont Sprout House
- Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, UPC Code 2213601290
- Organic Clover, UPC Code 2213601293
- Organic Bean Mix, UPC Code 2213601180
- Organic Zesty Sprouts, UPC Code 8826703903
- Organic Alfalfa Spouts, UPC Code 8826704741
- Organic Alfalfa Sprouts (8 oz), UPC Code 8826704102
- Organic Sprouts to Munch, UPC Code 8826704100
- Broccoli Sprouts, UPC Code 1509800025
- Salad Blend, broccoli, clover & radish, UPC code 150980002
- Deli Blend, broccoli, clover & mustard, 1509800027
- Organic, Broccoli Sprouts -- 100% organic, UPC Code 1509800118
- Organic Deli Blend, 100% organic broccoli, clover, mustard, UPC Code 1509800120
- Organic Salad Blend, 100% organic broccoli, clover, radish, UPC Code 150980119
All of the recalled sprouts were sold in plastic containers, except for the Nature’s Promise 8 ounce organic alfalfa, which is in a plastic bag.
In addition, the recall includes 5 pound bulk alfalfa sprouts, plastic bagged sprouts. The bulk sprouts were sold in boxes marked with a sticker identifying "5 pound bulk alfalfa, julien dates 069 through 097."
All items have a sell by date code from 3/31/09 through 4/27/09 and are net weight 4 ounces in plastic containers, with the noted exceptions of the 8-oz. Nature's Promise Organic Alfalfa and the five pound bag of bulk alfalfa sprouts.
These products have been sold in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
Need Legal Help Regarding Listeria Outbreak?