Man Claims He Was Abused by Priests in Miami-Dade 30 Years AgoMay 7, 2002 | South Florida Sun-Sentinel The latest person to publicly accuse South Florida priests of sexual misconduct announced Monday he will file a lawsuit today detailing abuse that occurred 30 years ago.
Jose Albino Currais Jr., now 45, accuses two local Catholic priests of a variety of sexual misconduct including orgies with boys, cruising Biscayne Boulevard in search of youths and a sex ring that serviced seminarians visiting from Rome. Currais recounted about three years of alleged abuse during a media conference at his lawyer's Hollywood office Monday afternoon.
Currais said the abuse, which he said he reported only to a therapist years ago, occurred while he was a teenage altar boy at the church now known as St. Kieran in Miami-Dade County.
Neither representatives from the Archdiocese of Miami nor those for the priests, the Revs. Ricardo Castellanos and Alvaro Guichard, would comment, saying they had not seen the lawsuit.
Attorney Jeff Herman said he plans to file the suit in Miami-Dade Circuit Court today.
Herman also represents the family of the late Miguel Chinchilla Jr., who last month filed a lawsuit accusing Castellanos and Guichard of abusing Chinchilla while he was a teenage altar boy at the Church of Little Flower in Miami-Dade County.
The family claims the priests repeatedly abused Chinchilla in the 1970s and that it led to his 1993 suicide.
Before his death, Chinchilla gave a videotaped statement saying his allegations against the priests were false.
Currais said Monday he did not know Chinchilla or other boys allegedly involved in sex acts.
Castellanos' attorney, Juan Quintana, said he could not comment because he has not seen the Currais suit. Castellanos is pastor at San Isidro Catholic Church in Pompano Beach.
Lawyers for Guichard, pastor of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Miami Beach, did not return two telephone calls on Monday.
Intermittently wiping tears from his brown eyes during Monday's news conference, Currais said he is coming forward after repeatedly seeing news reports of abuse.
"What happened to me is wrong," he said. "I don't want this to happen to any other children."