Marlboro house explosion critically injures twoNov 27, 2006 | www.cantonrep.com A township couple was taken by helicopter to an Akron hospital after their house exploded last night.
Police Chief Ron Devies said the house blew up around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, critically injuring a man and a woman inside.
“We suspect that it may have been a propane leak but that’s what we’re narrowing down and completely pinpointing today,” said Devies, who was at the scene with Marlboro firefighters until around 12:30 a.m. and was back at the scene this morning.
Devies said he hopes to give an official ruling today.
The couple, was taken to Akron Children’s Hospital by chopper where they are being treated for critical injuries in the burn unit.
“I don’t know how they did it, but he picked her up and carried her out,” Devies said.
He said walls on two and a half sides were completely blown off “and the roof is in the basement because it went up and came down,” he said. “The only thing standing right now is the front porch roof, which is leaning in toward the structure.”