Safety Notice says Liko Universal SlingBar Poses Fall RiskAug 21, 2008 | Parker Waichman LLP A safety notice for the Liko Universal SlingBar was issued by Liko AB this past June. According to the notice, various models of the Liko Universal SlingBar could become detached from the mobile lift, putting patients at risk of falling.
The products affected by the Liko Universal SlingBar corrective action include:
- Universal SlingBar 350; Product Number 3156074; used in combination with Viking XS, Viking S and Viking M Lifts
- Universal SlingBar 450; Product Number 3156075; used in combination with Viking L and LikoLight Lifts
- Universal SlingBar 600; Product Number 3156076; used in combination with Viking L and LikoLight Lifts
- Universal SlingBar 350 with Quick-release Hook; Product Number 3156084; used in combination with all lifts from
- Universal SlingBar 450 with Quick-release Hook; Product Number 3156085; used in combination with Liko, i.e. mobile lifts
- Universal SlingBar 600 with Quick-release Hook; Product Number 3156086; used in combination with overhead lifts.
The affected Liko Universal SlingBars bear the serial numbers: 1200101-1245680, 121204-121499, 12222407-12225241.
According to the Liko AB safety notice issued on June 2, when mounted on Viking or LikoLight mobile lifts, a component securing the Universal SlingBar to the lift may experience unanticipated fatigue. In extreme cases this can result in the sling bar becoming detached from the mobile lift. If this were to happen when a patient was being lifted, the patient would risk falling. To date, Liko says it has had no report of personal injuries.
To correct the problem, Liko has launched a field correction program to replace all affected products with a new sling bar design. The company says all sling bars now being delivered from Liko AB are the new design.
Liko AB claims that despite the defective Universal SlingBars, the affected lifting equipment is safe to use, as long as the sling bar passes the inspection described in the June safety notice. If a sling bar does not pass the inspection, or if a customer is not sure of how to perform the inspection, they should contact their national distributor for more information.