Salmonella found in peanut butterFeb 23, 2007 | UPI
Health Officilas Have Found Salmonella In Jars of Peter Pan
Health officials have found salmonella in jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter used by some of the 329 people sickened in a salmonella outbreak.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has advised consumers not to eat any Peter Pan peanut butter bought since May 2006 and not to eat any Great Value peanut butter with a product code beginning with 2111.
Public health officials said 329 cases of salmonella infection in 41 states had been reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. No deaths were blamed on the outbreak, but at least 51 people were hospitalized, the CDC said.
Peter Pan Peanut Butter And Some Jars of Great Value Peanut Butter
Peter Pan peanut butter and some jars of Great Value peanut butter are made at the same plant in Georgia. The FDA and the peanut butter manufacturer were investigating how the peanut butter may have become contaminated, the FDA said.
For most people, a salmonella infection causes diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps, and most people recover without treatment. It is more likely to cause a severe illness for the elderly, infants and those with impaired immune systems, the CDC said.