Contact Us

Clergy Abuse (DNU)
*    Denotes required field.

   * First Name 

   * Last Name 

   * Email 


Cell Phone 

Street Address 

Zip Code 



State of occurrence: 

When did the abuse occur? 

Name of religious institution (organization) where abuse occurred:

   * Please describe your case:

For verification purposes, please answer the below question:

No Yes, I agree to the Parker Waichman LLP disclaimers. Click here to review.

Yes, I would like to receive the Parker Waichman LLP monthly newsletter, InjuryAlert.

please do not fill out the field below.

Suspended Priest Admits Molesting 2 Youths

Cox Was Associate Pastor At Carroll County Church

Oct 15, 2002 | The Baltimore Sun

A suspended Carroll County priest admitted Tuesday in court that he molested two boys two decades ago while he was associate pastor of a Westminster parish.

The Rev. Brian M. Cox, former associate pastor at St. John Catholic Church, pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse. A prosecutor said she would recommend a six-year prison term for Cox at his sentencing, sched uled for Jan. 21.

The Archdiocese of Baltimore placed Cox on permanent administrative leave and revoked his ability to administer sacraments or conduct Mass in 1995, after he admitted to sexual misconduct with minors from 1979 to 1985, church officials have said. Cox, 63, is the co-founder and director of Resurrection Farm, a ministry to homeless people and families that he op erates on a rural plot near Westminster.

He was arrested in May and charged with felony child abuse, third-degree sex offense, fourth-degree sex offense and battery. In that case, John F. Curran III told Carroll County prosecutors that in 1980, when he was a fifth-grade student at St. John, he was fondled by Cox in the shower while on swimming outings at what is now McDaniel College.

In June, Cox was indicted on five counts of felony child abuse and three counts of second-degree assault in the alleged sex¬ ual abuse of a second boy. In that matter, he was charged with fondling a 13-year boy and performing oral sex on the youth in 1980 and 1981.

The Sun does not name, without their consent, victims of sexual crimes identified in court documents.

In a hearing Tuesday before Carroll Circuit Judge Michael M. Galloway, Cox admitted that he sexually abused the boys. Under questioning from his attorney, Andrew Jay Graham, he also said that he is taking antidepressants and has been under the care of a psychologist and psychiatrist.

The judge ordered an evaluation to determine the likelihood that Cox would commit further sex offenses. Cox remains free on bond under the condition that he have no contact with minors.

Cox was joined in the courtroom Tuesday by about 20 supporters. Curran's mother was also in court. In an interview, Gretchen P. Murdza said she was unaware of her son's abuse until April.

"This has been a terrible number of months," she said. "But a criminal is a criminal, whether they wear a Roman collar or not. As a mother, the worst thing is that you realize you can't protect your children, can't keep them safe."

Curran is on active duty with the Navy, stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C., she said.

Deputy Carroll County State's Attorney Tracy A. Gilmore read from a transcript of taped con versations between Curran and Cox. Cox apologized for hurting Curran and told him that he went to a bishop in 1984 and told him he had a problem and needed help. Cox told Curran that the bishop had responded that Cox was a priest and therefore didn't need help.

Gilmore said she would ask for a six-year prison term, the maximum under nonbinding sentencing guidelines for Cox. Child abuse carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison, she said. Other charges against Cox were dropped.

The suspended priest's attorney said he would seek probation for his client.

"Society would be much better served by having the defendant work in worthwhile projects than simply sit in a jail cell," Graham said. "This is a difficult and sad day for Father Cox. He made this decision a couple of weeks ago. He wanted to be honest. He didn't want to put the victims through a trial."

Cox served as a priest of the Josephite religious society at St. Pius V from 1968 to 1973. He joined the Archdiocese of Baltimore in 1981. He served at St. John from 1978 to 1989 and as sisted at St. John and St. Peter in Libertytown from 1989 to 1995.

In 1995, Cox was brought to the attention of the archdiocese by a third party who said Cox had engaged in sexual misconduct in 1981. Cox admitted to sexual misconduct with minors from 1979 to 1985, according to the archdiocese, which sus pended him.

The archdiocese forwarded the allegation to the Carroll County state's attorney's office in August 1995 and tried to send investigators to question him, but they were unable to do so. Cox had been sent to an in-patient psychiatric center in St. Louis by the archdiocese. A prosecutor assigned to the case later complained that the church would not disclose his whereabouts, but an attorney for the archdiocese said church records don't show any request from prosecutors.

A year later, Cox returned to Resurrection Farm, which had no affiliation with the archdiocese.

Archdiocese spokesman Steve Kearney said Tuesday, "This guilty plea is the right outcome. Nothing's more important than protecting children and we hope that this outcome helps bring healing to the people he's harmed."

Related articles
Parker Waichman Accolades And Reviews Best Lawyers Find Us On Avvo