Vicks Sinex Nasal Spray Recalled Over Bacterial ContaminationNov 20, 2009 | Parker Waichman LLP Vicks Sinex nasal spray is being recalled in three countries because of potential bacterial contamination. According to a recall notice issued by Proctor & Gamble, the recall includes three lots of Vicks Sinex nasal spray sold in the United States, United Kingdom and Germany. The bacteria, B. cepacia, has been found in a small amount of Vicks Sinex nasal spray from the recalled lot sold in the States, the notice said.
The three lots of Vicks Sinex nasal spray being recalled are:
- United States: Lot # 9239028831; Product Name: Vicks Sinex Vapospray 12-Hour Decongestant Ultra Fine Mist, 15 ml., Nasal Spray
- United Kingdom: Lot # 9224028832l; Product Name: Vicks Sinex Micromist Aqueous Nasal Spray Solution, 15 ml
- Germany: Lot # 9224028833; Product Name: Wick Sinex Schnupfenspray Dosiersystem, 15 ml
The lot number is listed on both the outer carton and the bottle.
Proctor & Gamble is recalling the Vicks Sinex products after finding the bacteria B. cepacia in a small amount of product made at its plant in Gross Gerau, Germany. There have been no reports of illness. However, the bacteria could cause serious infections for individuals with a compromised immune system, or those with chronic lung conditions, such as cystic fibrosis. B. cepacia poses little medical risk to healthy individuals.
Proctor & Gamble said that it detected this problem during routine quality control at the plant, The company’s analysis to date shows this problem is limited to a single batch of raw material mixture involving three lots of product.
The recall notice also said that B. cepacia was found in a small amount of product from U.S. lot 9239028831. Proctor & Gamble is conducting testing on the U.K. and German lots that have been produced from the same batch of raw material mixture.
Proctor & Gamble is removing the product in question from store shelves and has informed regulatory authorities in the affected countries. Consumers have been advised to discard the affected product as they would any OTC medicine.
Anyone who has these specific lots of Vicks Sinex nasal spray can call Proctor & Gamble for a replacement coupon or refund at the following numbers:
- From the United States, please call: 1.877.876.7881 (Hours of operation: Monday - Friday, 9AM - 6PM US ET, Saturday - Sunday, 9AM - 4PM US ET)
- From the United Kingdom, please call: 0800.5555.15 (Hours of operation: 19 November, 4PM - 9PM local time and will continue Monday - Friday, 8AM - 6PM local time, Saturday - Sunday, 9AM - 5PM local time)
- From Germany, please call: 0800.111.6131 (Hours of operation: 19 November, 4PM - 9PM local time and will continue Monday - Friday, 8AM - 6PM local time, Saturday - Sunday, 9AM - 5PM local time