Woman in England Dies of Rabies after Being Bitten by Dog While In IndiaJul 23, 2005 | www.Newsinferno.com
Health officials have confirmed that a 39-year-old shop assistant from Bury, Greater Manchester, died of rabies which she contracted from a dog bite during a trip to Gao, India.
The woman lived in Bury with her husband and was admitted to Fairfield General Hospital when she felt sick shortly after her return to London.
As soon as her condition was diagnosed as rabies she was transferred to the Walton Centre in Liverpool, which specializes in neurology and neurosurgery. Where, despite her treatment, she died on Saturday.
The Health Protection Agency confirmed the death. A spokesman said: "We can confirm that a female patient who was apparently bitten by a dog during a visit to the Indian sub continent has died in the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Liverpool, where she was being treated for rabies."
Although there is no history of rabies contraction between humans, the spokesman said all hospital staff that had close contact with patient had been offered vaccinations. He assured that the incident did not pose a concern for public health.
The incident is, however, a reminder that travelers should obtain the proper inoculations for the country they are visiting and should exercise caution around animals. Both standard travel guides and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide an outline of recommended vaccinations for tourists.