A 59-year-old priest from suburban Detroit has been barred from the ministry based on child sexual abuse allegations dating from early in his ministry, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit said Sunday.
The archdiocese placed the Rev. C. Richard Kelly on leave Thursday from his job as pastor of St. Thomas a’Becket Parish in Canton, spokesman Ned McGrath said.
“The Archdiocesan Review Board has deemed substantive an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor involving Father Kelly dating back to the early years of his ministry in the Detroit archdiocese,” McGrath said in a news release.
McGrath said the church learned of the allegations from civil authorities late last year. He said authorities chose not to investigate further because of the time that had passed.
The archdiocese’s own investigation “found the complaint to be of sufficient substance to require the placement of a temporary restriction on Father Kelly’s service as a priest,” McGrath said. He said Kelly has cooperated with the church’s investigation.