Buckyballs and Buckycubes Injuries
Buckyballs® and Buckycubes™: High-Powered Magnetic Toy Injury Lawsuits
Parker Waichman LLP is investigating potential lawsuits on behalf of victims who have suffered injuries by swallowing Buckyballs and Buckycubes, high-powered magnetic toys manufactured by Maxfield & Oberton. Buckyballs and Buckycubes have sparked a number of safety concerns among parents and consumer safety groups due to reports of children ingesting the tiny magnets, which could interfere with the digestive system and potentially cause fatal injuries. If your child suffered any injuries by ingesting Buckyballs or Buckycubes, our attorneys would like to speak with. Contact one of our experienced product liability lawyers today for a free, no-obligation evaluation of your case.
What are BuckyBalls® and BuckyCubes™?
Buckyballs and Buckycubes are high-powered magnets meant as desktop toys; they consist of a group of small magnets that can be re-arranged to form different designs. Reportedly, over 2 million Buckyballs have been sold in the United States. Consumer safety groups, such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have deemed the toys as a hazard for children and have taken action to remove them from the market. In July 2012, the CPSC asked a number of retailers to stop selling Buckyballs.
In October 2012, Maxfield & Oberton announced that they would no longer be selling Buckyballs and Buckycubes.
After selling off thousands left in stock, the products will no longer be available, the company said on their website.
Buckyballs® and BuckyCubes™ Injuries
According to the CPSC, Buckyballs are dangerous when swallowed by children. If the child swallows more than one magnet, they can attract each other within the digestive tract and lead to serious, perhaps even fatal injuries. In a public warning released November 2011, the CPSC warned that swallowing multiple magnets could cause small holes in the stomach and intestines, intestinal blockage, blood poisoning and death. The risk of these injuries increases with the number of magnets swallowed. Based on reports of such incidences, the CPSC has issued the following advice to help stop and detect when a child has swallowed these magnets:
- Keep small magnets away from children
- Inspect magnet toys to check for missing pieces
- Seek medical attention immediately if you think that a piece has been swallowed
- Be on the lookout for symptoms of magnet ingestions, such as abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
- When viewed under an x-ray, multiple magnets may appear to be a single object
In November 2012, the Public Interest Research Group (PIRG) highlighted safety concerns associated with small magnet toys such as Buckyballs and Buckycubes. According to PIRG, government estimates show some 1,700 emergency room visits between 2009 and 2011 due to swallowing the high-powered magnets. Most cases involve children between the ages of 4 and 12, but older children have accidentally swallowed them by using them mimic tongue piercings.
Legal Evaluation for Victims of Buckyballs®
and Buckycubes™ Injuries
If your child was injured by swallowing Buckyballs or Buckycubes magnetic toys, you may have valuable legal rights. Please fill out our online form or call one of our toy injury lawyers today at 1(800)-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) for a free evaluation of your case.