Left turn accidents are a common and dangerous type of traffic accident that frequently results in severe injuries and fatalities. When a driver attempts to make a left turn across oncoming traffic, the risk of collision increases significantly, often due to poor judgment, impatience, or inattention. This article will discuss the reasons behind left turn accidents, the importance of hiring a car accident attorney if you are injured in such an accident, the statute of limitations, examples of injuries sustained, real-life examples of left turn accidents, and prevention strategies.
Causes of Left Turn Accidents
Several factors can contribute to left turn accidents, including:
- Limited visibility: Obstructions such as parked cars, large trucks, or buildings can limit a driver’s view of oncoming traffic, making it difficult to judge the timing and distance of approaching vehicles.
- Misjudging speed and distance: Drivers may incorrectly estimate the speed of oncoming traffic or the time needed to complete a left turn, leading to dangerous situations and potential collisions.
- Distracted driving: Distractions such as cell phone use, eating, or adjusting the radio can divert a driver’s attention from the road, increasing the likelihood of an accident.
- Failure to yield: Drivers may incorrectly assume they have the right of way when making a left turn, neglecting to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
- Impatience: Some drivers may become impatient while waiting for an opportunity to make a left turn, leading to hasty and unsafe decisions.
The Importance of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney
If you are injured in a left turn accident, hiring a car accident attorney can significantly improve your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries and losses. An experienced attorney can provide invaluable assistance by:
- Investigating the accident: Your attorney will gather crucial evidence, such as police reports, witness statements, and photographs, to build a strong case on your behalf. They may also consult with experts in accident reconstruction to determine the precise cause of the accident and establish liability.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies often attempt to minimize payouts or deny valid claims. A car accident attorney can negotiate with insurance adjusters on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, property damage, and other losses.
- Pursuing a lawsuit: If negotiations with insurance companies fail, your attorney may file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. They will represent you in court, presenting evidence and arguing your case to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Advising on legal matters: A car accident attorney can provide guidance on various legal matters, such as the statute of limitations, comparative negligence laws, and potential damages you may be entitled to receive.
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations is a legal deadline within which you must file a lawsuit for personal injury or property damage resulting from a car accident. This time frame varies by state and can range from one to six years. If you fail to file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, you may lose your right to pursue compensation.
It is essential to consult with a car accident attorney as soon as possible after an accident to ensure you meet the statute of limitations and protect your rights. Additionally, starting the legal process early allows your attorney to gather fresh evidence and witness accounts, which can be critical in building a strong case.
Injuries Sustained in Left Turn Accidents
Left turn accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor scrapes and bruises to severe and life-altering trauma. Some common injuries sustained in these accidents include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a neck injury caused by the sudden back-and-forth motion of the head during a collision. Symptoms may include neck pain, stiffness, and headaches. While whiplash is often considered a minor injury, it can lead to chronic pain and long-term complications if not treated properly.
- Broken bones: The impact of a left turn accident can cause fractures in various parts of the body, such as arms, legs, ribs, and the collarbone. Depending on the severity of the fracture, treatment may involve immobilization, surgery, and extensive rehabilitation.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): A TBI can occur when the head experiences a sudden jolt or impact, causing the brain to collide with the skull’s interior. Symptoms can range from mild concussions to severe cognitive and motor impairments, potentially leading to long-term disabilities.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can result in partial or complete paralysis, affecting a person’s mobility, sensation, and overall quality of life. Spinal cord injuries often require extensive medical treatment and long-term care.
- Internal injuries: Left turn accidents can cause damage to vital organs, such as the lungs, liver, or spleen. Internal bleeding and organ damage may require emergency medical intervention and can have life-threatening consequences.
Examples of Left Turn Accidents
- In 2017, a fatal accident occurred in Ohio when a driver attempted to make a left turn across oncoming traffic and collided with an approaching vehicle. The collision resulted in the death of one person and severe injuries to several others.
- In 2018, a motorcyclist in Texas was severely injured when a driver made a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle, causing a collision. The motorcyclist sustained multiple fractures and required extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- In 2020, a pedestrian in California was struck and killed by a driver who failed to yield while making a left turn. The driver, who was attempting to turn into a parking lot, struck the pedestrian in the crosswalk, resulting in a tragic accident.
Left turn accidents pose a significant risk to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians alike. By understanding the causes of these accidents and implementing prevention strategies, drivers can reduce the likelihood of collisions and promote safer roads for all. If you are injured in a left turn accident, hiring a car accident attorney is crucial to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Understanding the statute of limitations and the potential injuries sustained in these accidents is essential to protect your rights and pursue a successful legal claim.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
If you or a loved one suffered serious harm due to an accident caused by another driver, contact our us today for a free case review. You or your family member could receive significant monetary compensation for your injuries or for the loss of a loved one.
Time is limited, so don’t hesitate to get in touch with our firm. Call Parker Waichman LLP at 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529) to understand your rights and options. If qualified, our car accident attorneys will work hard to obtain the financial compensation you or your loved one deserves.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation