SEMINOLE COUNTY, FL. – According to an online report on clickorlando.com, a Seminole County worker was killed in a tragic sidewalk collapse accident. Three Seminole County Fire Rescue firefighters who were attempting to rescue the worker were also severely injured in the construction accident. The accident occurred at approximately 10:30 in the morning at the 200 blocks of Chiswell Place.
The rescuers attempted to remove the sidewalk off of the victim, according to an eyewitness. The eyewitness told the 911 operator that the victim was pinned in between the water main and the sidewalk.
According to the Seminole County Fire Chief, as rescuers arrived at the accident scene, there was a vacuum truck removing water where the victim was stuck. The vacuum truck was then turned off to allow firefighters to begin their rescue of the victim.
Tragically, as the firefighters attempted to rescue the victim using the “jaws of life” to cut through the sidewalk, the hole the victim was trapped inside had an electrical charge, resulting in the electrocuting the firefighters. All three firefighters received injuries that were examined by medical staff at a nearby hospital.
According to the news report, that collapse was caused by the constant shifting of the ground under the sidewalk, and because of water pouring into the hole. One witness told 911 the water main was turned off, but the victim was six feet down inside the hole.
The three brave firefighters who were injured in the rescue attempt were treated for possible electrical shock injuries, and all three are alive and in stable condition. The accident’s investigation is ongoing.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been harmed in an accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review