Motorcycle accidents and collisions are largely preventable in that many are caused because someone – or more than one person – simply did not take the time to consider carefully their actions and the potential consequences of those actions. It is tragic that a simple lack of planning and forethought can devastate not only the life of a biker but that of his or her loved ones as well.
Drivers of trucks, commercial vehicles, and cars can cause these terrible collisions if they choose to:
- Drive while inebriated, under the influence of drugs, or drive while they are sleepy;
- Not look for motorcyclists in their “blind spots” before changing lanes or turning;
- Not watch and/or listen for approaching motorcyclists before opening a car door;
- Drive aggressively around motorcycles by cutting motorcyclists off, making sudden and erratic maneuvers around them, or trying to force them off of the road;
- Use cellphones, smartphones, “drown out” the outside world with music, wear headphones, or do anything similar that takes the driver’s attention away from the road and his or her surroundings.
To be sure, there are things that a motorcyclist can do that can jeopardize his or her safety on the road. Even if a motorcyclist does one or more of the following, it does not necessarily mean that the motorcyclist is left to fend for him- or herself. These actions may reduce the amount of compensation that the injured motorist may be able to receive, but so long as the motorcyclist is not primarily responsible for the crash, monetary damages should be available to him or her:
- Not wearing appropriate personal protective equipment like a helmet, gloves, and durable, high-visibility clothing;
- Speeding or traveling too fast on slippery roads or in heavy traffic;
- Weaving in and out of traffic;
- Attempting dangerous maneuvers like sharp turns at high speeds, especially if the motorcyclist is not an experienced rider.
While motorcycle crashes in New York could theoretically be eliminated if everyone – motorists and motorcyclists alike – simply paid greater attention and gave greater thought to their actions, the truth is motorcycle crashes will continue to occur because people are prone to lapses in judgment, rushing decisions before thinking them through, and allowing their tempers to get the better of them. When motorcycle accidents do happen, it is a comfort to know that the dedicated lawyers and legal staff at Parker Waichman LLP are ready to spring into action.
Motorcycle crashes routinely cause devastating injuries to the motorcyclist – traumatic brain injuries, broken hips and legs, and severe abrasions and lacerations. As a result, it is very likely that any New York motorcycle injury victim will be able to retain an attorney to file a lawsuit to recover monetary compensation.
Contact Parker Waichman LLP today at 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. We are here 24/7 to help you get the compensation your case deserves.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been harmed in a motorcycle accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review