The parents of a 9-year-old Saratoga girl have sued the makers of Children’s Motrin, claiming the flu and pain medication caused an extreme allergic reaction that left their daughter unable to see, speak or eat.
The suit filed last week in U.S. federal court does not specify the amount of damages being sought.
It alleges the manufacturer failed to adequately test the drug for over-the-counter use with children. It also alleges that the manufacturer failed to warn the public of potentially fatal reactions to Children’s Motrin.
“They knew it could cause this terrible toxic epidermal necrolysis and didn’t tell the FDA, didn’t tell the public and fraudulently put it on the market as safe,” said attorney Mary Alexander, one of the lawyers representing Kerry and Bradshaw Langstaff, the parents of Kaitlyn Langstaff.
Johnson & Johnson and a subsidiary, McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, are named in the suit.
“Johnson & Johnson does not comment on pending litigation,” a company spokesman said.
According to the suit, Kaitlyn had no known allergies when she was given Children’s Motrin for fever and sore throat by her parents on April 6, 2002. She was diagnosed with toxic epidermal necrolysis and hospitalized for 110 days, nearly dying several times, the suit claims.