Dozen Of People Fell Ill After Eating At Taco John’s Restaurant. Near three dozen people fell ill, including 14 who were hospitalized, with symptoms consistent with infection by the E. coli bacteria after eating at a Taco John’s restaurant, a local health department said.
Test results were expected Monday.
The Taco John’s restaurant has removed any suspected ingredients from its menu and sanitized the facility, said Tom O’Rourke, the Black Hawk County Health Department director.
Brian Dixon, vice president of marketing for Taco John’s, said the company had sent a representative to review cooking and food storage procedures, and to examine cleaning reports and employee health records.
Taco John’s Has Been Linked To The Outbreak
Taco John’s is based in Cheyenne, Wyo. It has no connection to Taco Bell, which has been linked to an outbreak of a harsh strain of E. coli that has sickened more than 60 people in the Northeast.
On Sunday, the New York Health Department confirmed that city’s first case caused by the same strain of E. coli found in the other confirmed cases, spokesman Jeff Cowley said. That person was admitted to a hospital on Nov. 24 after eating at a Taco Bell, but has fully recovered, Cowley said.
Taco Bell officials said Saturday they had determined that scallions were the likely source of the bacteria. The company said it has switched produce suppliers.