Lead Paint Poisoning To Children. Lead poisoning is the greatest environmental health threat to children under the age of 6. Poisoning occurs from swallowing lead (i.e. lead paint chips) or from breathing lead paint dust. Even small amounts of chipped lead paint or lead dust can be dangerous to children. Children under 6 face these great risks because their growing bodies absorb lead more easily than adult bodies do.
Millions of American children are affected by lead poisoning. Children who live in old, poorly maintained housing or in housing that has undergone renovation face the greatest risk. Children exposed to flaking or peeling paint chips face the greatest risk of lead disease.
Lead May Damage Nervous System
Studies have shown that high lead levels may cause damage to the nervous system, brain injuries, seizures, growth retardation, loss of hearing, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems. Furthermore, very high levels of lead may cause coma, convulsion and spontaneous death.
If your building was built before 1978, it is very possible that lead paint was used. Peeling paint is a clear signal that lead paint may have been used in your home. If this is the case, it is recommended that you and your children have a blood-lead test. A blood lead test is the only accurate way to diagnose lead poisoning.
Need Legal Help Regarding Lead Paint Poisoning?
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation