Creosote In Wood Stove Caused The Fire. A buildup of creosote in a wood-burning stove apparently caused the fire early Sunday that killed three boys in Princeton, Minn., the fire chief reported Monday.
When creosote from previous fires builds up inside a chimney, it clogs the chimney and can often cause the flue to get so hot it sets walls on fire, Princeton Fire Chief Ritz Villebrun said.
Chimneys Are Used Without Cleaning
“At this time of year, when people stock the wood stoves, they normally don’t clean their chimneys good enough,” Villebrun said. “They use them over and over for years without cleaning. It builds up with creosote and the flames have nowhere to go. It just gets hot and bursts.”