Car Accident Attorneys on Long Island, New York
When potential clients contact Parker Waichman LLP about their Long Island car accident claims, they often have several questions for us about accidents on the island and subsequent litigation. We have compiled a list of some of the questions we commonly hear, along with our answers. Please feel free to contact our law office if you have additional questions or to discuss your own potential claims.
What are the leading causes of car accidents on Long Island?
Some of the most common causes of car accidents on Long Island are:
- Drunk Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Drowsy Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Traffic Violations
As you can see, these all involve driver negligence. Unfortunately, the vast majority of accidents on Long Island are the result of dangerous driving behavior by one of the drivers involved. Our attorneys help injured people hold the responsible drivers accountable for their actions.
What types of car accidents usually take place on Long Island?
Accidents can play out in many different ways, but we frequently litigate cases involving the following types of collisions:
- Rear-end collisions – Generally occur when one vehicle slams into the back of another, either because of inattention or following too closely.
- Head-on collisions – Usually are the result of one driver traveling in the wrong direction or missing a traffic signal and crashing straight into another vehicle.
- T-bone crashes – Often occur when one driver runs a stop sign or red light and crashes into a car traveling in another direction with the right-of-way.
- Side-swipe collisions – Usually happen when one driver loses control or swerves and collides with the side of another car.
- Rollover accidents – Often involve higher speeds and more forceful impacts that send one or more vehicles into a rolling motion.
- Multi-car crashes – Usually occur in a chain-reaction effect, where one car starts a series of crashes by forcefully slamming into another car or by blocking oncoming traffic after the initial collision.
What injuries can result from Long Island car accidents?
Injuries from Long Island car accidents can be severe. Parker Waichman has represented Long Island victims with the following types of accident injuries:
- Bruises and abrasions
- Broken or dislocated bones/joints
- Head trauma
- Neck injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal bleeding
Not only do these injuries involve bodily harm, but they also result in large medical expenses. Our firm pursues compensation for victims and their families facing the stress of costly medical bills.
How does New York’s No-Fault Law apply to Long Island Car Accidents?
The No-Fault Law in New York applies to all injury-causing car accidents on Long Island. Under the law, rather than filing a lawsuit in court for economic losses, such as medical bills and lost income, you must submit a claim to your own auto insurance carrier for reimbursement of those losses.
In order to recover for additional, non-economic losses (like pain and suffering), you must have been seriously injured in your accident. If your accident injury case meets the “serious injury threshold” under the No-Fault Law, you might be eligible to file a lawsuit in court against the driver who injured you and his or her insurance company. Serious injuries that meet this threshold under the law include:
- Bone Fractures
- Loss of Limb / Dismemberment
- Disability for 90 days or longer after the accident
- Loss of an Unborn Child
If you were hurt in one of these ways, you might be able to file a lawsuit for your damages beyond medical expenses and lost income. An experienced attorney, like those at Parker Waichman, can help you understand how the law applies to your claims and whether you are eligible to file a lawsuit in court for additional damages.
What kind of settlement can I receive in a Long Island accident case?
While no settlement or verdict is ever guaranteed, Parker Waichman will fiercely pursue the following types of damages on your behalf:
- Costs of your present and future medical treatment;
- Amount of lost wages, lost income, or lost earning capacity;
- Compensation for your physical pain;
- Mental anguish;
- Pain and suffering;
- Damages for the effects of your injuries on your relationship with your spouse.
Call our firm to speak to one of our skilled attorneys about the potential damages you could recover in your Long Island accident case.
Why should I hire an attorney from Parker Waichman LLP?
The attorneys at Parker Waichman possess the knowledge, experience, and integrity you need on your side following a Long Island car accident. During our decades of personal injury practice in New York, we have developed a client-centralized, results-focused approach to litigation, earning numerous accolades along the way. Clients, colleagues, and judges in the community have bestowed us with the following honors:
- 8 Rating by AVVO
- “Preeminent Lawyers” AV Peer Review Rating
- Highest Peer Review Ranking of “5 Dragons”
- Listing in Best Lawyers Publication
When you hire Parker Waichman, you are placing your case in the capable hands of seasoned trial lawyers who value their clients above everything else.
How do I get started?
If you suffered injuries in a Long Island car accident and are looking to explore your options for legal recourse, all you have to do to get started is call our office or fill out our online form. With that first call or message, you will quickly speak to a compassionate member of the Parker Waichman staff. You will just need to provide some basic background about your potential case, and you’ll soon be connected with an experienced Long Island car accident attorney. We will guide you through the whole process and make sure all your questions are answered.
Contact Parker Waichman LLP for Your Free Case Review
If you were or your loved one has been injured in a car accident on Long Island, contact Parker Waichman LLP today for your free consultation by filling out our online form or by calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car accident on Long Island?Click To Get A Free Case Review