Cropwell Bishop Creamery is recalling some of its cheese products over possible contamination British manufacturer Cropwell Bishop Creamery Limited of England is recalling some of its cheese products over possible contamination with the dangerous, sometimes deadly, pathogen Listeria monocytogenes, said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Cropwell Bishop Creamery is conducting a nationwide recall on its Blue Stilton and Shropshire Blue Cheese products in the United States over the potential for Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled Cropwell Bishop Creamery cheses were distributed nationwide in retail stores. The contamination potential was discovered following testing of the cheese. The cause of the potential problem has been corrected, said the FDA. This recall is limited to the following Blue Stilton and Shropshire Blue Cheese Products:
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 12 oz, lot 3052822700 and expiration date: 2/10/09.
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 7 to 9 oz, lot 3052828700 and expiration date: 4/19/09.
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 1/8 lb, lot 3052835200 and expiration date: 4/27/09.
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 1/16 lb, lot 3375821700 and expiration date with julian code 8217.
- Ilchester BabyBlue Stilton, 2/5 lb, lot 3375834000, 3375829500 and expiration dates with julian codes 8340 and 8295.
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/8 lb, lot 3375828400 and expiration date with julian code 8284.
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 2/9 lb, lots 3375828400, 3375821700, 3375833300, 3375829400, 3375827800, 3375824500, and 3357816400 and expiration dates with julian codes 8284, 8217, 8333 , 8294, 8278, 8245, and 8164.
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/9 lb, lots 3375833600, 3375829400, 3375824500, 3758162000, and 3375825200 and expiration dates with julian codes 8336, 8294, 8245, 8162, and 8252.
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/16 lb, lot 3375825400 and expiration date with julian code 8254.
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 18/1 lb, lots 3052829500 and 3052830800 and expiration dates 4/19/09 and 5/2/09.
- Ilchester Blue Silton, 6/3.5 oz crock, lot 2216832300 with expiration date 3/26/09.Global Cheese Market Stilton, 7 to 9 oz, lot 714568 and 714720 with expiration dates 3/22/09 and 3/29/09.
- Global Cheese Market Stilton, 1/5 lb, lots 713939, 715973, and 716368 with expiration dates 3/9/09, 5/3/09, and 5/17/09.
- Trader Joe’s Blue Stilton purchased on or before 12/31/08. Film-wrapped.
- Trader Joe’s Shropshire Blue Cheese purchased on or before 1/4/09. Film-wrapped.
- Cropwell Bishop Creamery Blue Stilton purchased on or before 12/31/08.
- Cropwell Bishop Creamery Shropshire Blue Cheese purchased on or before 12/31/08.
the recalled products are urged by the FDA to destroy all recalled products on hand
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged by the FDA to destroy all recalled products on hand, and then obtain a full refund by contacting the following from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST: For all recalled Ilchester or Global Cheese Market, call 201-508-6426; for all recalled Trader Joe’s or Cropwell Bishop Creamery products, call 513-751-4490.
This is the second recall over potential listeria contamination called for by Cropwell Bishop Creamey cheese in recent months. In mid-December, Cropwell Bishop Creamery Finest Blue Stilton Cheese recalled Cropwell Bishop Creamery Finest Blue Stilton Cheese that was sold across Canada at Costco Wholesale stores.
Listeria monocytogenes can cause illness in humans and is responsible for an estimated 2,500 illnesses in the United States annually, with about 200 in every 1,000 cases resulting in death. Listeriosis, the illness caused by the listeria bacteria, can take days, even weeks, to develop and can present in anything from a mild flu-like illness to meningitis and septicemia. In pregnant women, spontaneous abortion, miscarriage, or the birth of an infected child can occur. Those whose immune systems are compromised—such as people with HIV/AIDs or patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment—the very young, and the very old are also at particular risk for listeriosis contamination and illness.