When you’re dealing with the aftermath of a car accident, you deserve compassionate, knowledgeable Hempstead, New York car accident lawyers on your side. Vehicle crashes in Hempstead can result in devastating injuries, but if you’re in this unfortunate situation, the attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP can help you to pursue the compensation you and your family need.
Our firm can help Hempstead car accident victims like you pursue the compensation you may need for medical bills, lost wages and much more. Having an experienced car accident attorney on your side representing your interests through all the steps of your accident claim or lawsuit is vital for your success. Retaining the legal expertise of Parker Waichman LLP is the best way to protect yourself if you or a loved one were injured in a car accident.
Read more about car accidents and how a car accident lawyer can help you:
- What are the most common causes of car accidents in Hempstead?
- What Should You Do After an Accident?
- What Are the Most Frequent Car Accident Injuries?
- New York’s No-Fault Law and its Effects on Your Case
- Statutes of Limitations in Hempstead Car Accident Cases
- Most Dangerous Long Island Roads and Intersections
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Choose Parker Waichman LLP?
- Talk With an Attorney for Free Today
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Hempstead?
Car crashes cause the most injury-related fatalities in Hempstead every year, according to the state Department of Health, and many of these accidents happen due to driver negligence. When people are distracted or they make dangerous decisions while driving, they put other motorists at risk of injury.
At Parker Waichman, we’ve been litigating Hempstead car accident claims for many years, and some of the most frequent types of negligent driver conduct include:
- Driving too fast for the conditions or above the speed limit
- Changing lanes unsafely
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Using a cell phone while driving
- Distracted driving behaviors, such as reading or eating
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Insufficient vehicle maintenance, such as worn-out brakes or no power steering fluid
- Ignoring or missing stop signs, stoplights, or other traffic signals
Multitasking is common nowadays, and people often see driving as downtime when they can do other things. But driving is not something you can take your attention away from for any length of time: Conditions on the road can change in a second, and drivers need to be prepared to react. Driving is not a time to multitask and those who attempt it can end up causing a serious accident, leaving victims with traumatic injuries. If this has happened to you, a Hempstead car accident lawyer with our firm can help you seek justice.
What Should You Do After an Accident?
Car accidents are sudden and traumatic events, and it can be difficult to know what to do first. If you’re involved in an auto accident in Hempstead, here’s what you need to do:
- Seek medical care for any injuries to drivers, passengers, or pedestrians on the scene.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Try to move your vehicle away from oncoming traffic.
- Take photos of vehicle damage and injuries.
- Do not admit blame related to the accident, either to the other driver or to police.
- Contact a Hempstead, NY car accident attorney as soon as possible.
What Are the Most Frequent Car Accident Injuries?
The worst car accidents result in serious injuries or even death. Dozens of people in Hempstead are killed in car accidents every year, and around 2,800 people sustain car accident injuries that require hospitalization.
The most common injuries associated with car accidents include:
- Broken and Fractured Bones: Broken and fractured bones often occur in car accidents, either due to the force of the collision or being thrown against the car. These injuries often heal with proper treatment, but some lead to additional complications like internal bleeding.
- Joint Dislocation: Car crash victims also frequently experience joint dislocation because of the accident. With appropriate medical care, this can usually be remedied, but patients are then susceptible to additional dislocations, and the medical bills can quickly add up.
- Neck and Head Injuries: During the force of a crash, people’s bodies can be jolted around or slammed against the inside of the car. This leaves the head and neck at risk for injury, especially if a person is ejected from the vehicle. Any injury to the head or neck can cause serious and permanent injuries, including brain injuries and paralysis.
- Whiplash: Rear-end collisions often lead to whiplash for vehicle occupants. Whiplash is a strong back-and-forth movement of the head and neck. This injury may appear minor at first but can result in ongoing damage. People with whiplash will usually experience immediate pain in their necks followed by one or more of the following symptoms:
- Limited range of motion
- Tingling/numbness in the neck, shoulders, or back
- Unexplained exhaustion
- Ringing in the ears
- Blurred vision
- Internal Bleeding or Organ Damage: Accident victims can experience internal bleeding or damage to their internal organs from a car crash. These types of injuries can present obscure symptoms, making them hard to detect. It is critical to seek medical care if internal bleeding is suspected.
- Brain Injuries: Violent crashes, particularly those involving someone ejected from the car, can result in traumatic brain injuries. Brain injuries are tragic and complicated because the side effects can be subtle or incredibly damaging. In the worst cases, people with brain injuries are permanently incapacitated or unable to take care of themselves. Some brain injuries will result in death.
- Burn Injuries: Fires can result from car crashes, which often leave victims with serious burns, especially if they are still inside the car when the fire ignites. Depending on the severity of the burns, people might require extensive and painful medical treatment and be left with permanent scars.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: In forceful crashes where the car is crushed, victims may experience injuries to their spinal cords. The extent of damage can reach full or lower-limb paralysis, usually depending on the pressure placed upon the victim’s back during the crash.
- Death: In the worst car accidents, victims do not survive. A car accident attorney on our team can then represent family members wishing to bring a claim on behalf of their deceased loved ones.
The experienced attorneys at Parker Waichman understand that your injuries or the injuries of your loved one can cause tremendous suffering, and we’re here to help you hold the responsible parties accountable. We have extensive experience litigating Hempstead accident cases, and we can assist you in navigating the legal system to get the results you need. Contact a Hempstead, New York car accident lawyer on our team today and let us put our skills to work for you.
Hempstead’s No-Fault Law and its Effects on Your Case
New York’s no-fault law applies to car accidents in Hempstead, and it requires you to first seek reimbursement through your own vehicle insurance carrier for your economic losses. These losses include direct financial losses such as the costs of medical treatment for your injuries or lost wages because you had to take time off of work after the accident. Regardless of liability, you must use the proper channels for these expenses under New York law. The state’s intent in passing this law was to provide faster, more efficient relief for the most common types of damages associated with car accidents: Legislators wanted to prevent the judicial system from becoming clogged with accident claims.
It may seem like the state has thwarted your opportunity to have your day in court, but that’s not necessarily the case. The law does leave room for lawsuits in the event of severe injuries. With a help of a skilled car accident attorney, accident victims can often recover damages for their pain and suffering.
To pursue a lawsuit outside of the no-fault law, a person has to have suffered a serious injury. A serious injury, as defined by the law, includes any of the following:
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Significant facial or bodily disfigurements
- Dismemberment of limbs
- Loss of a baby while pregnant
- Significant limitation of the use of a body function or body system
- Permanent limitation of the use of a body organ or body part
- Full or substantial disability for at least 90 days following the accident
If you or your loved one has experienced one of the above injuries, you might meet the serious injury threshold of the no-fault law, which will allow you to seek damages for your non-economic losses (pain and suffering) from the driver who injured you and their insurance company. It may not be clear whether this applies to your case, which is one reason why it’s important to retain a car accident attorney to investigate your case. When you contact a Parker Waichman car accident lawyer in Hempstead, we’ll provided a free consultation to help clarify your options.
Statutes of Limitations in Hempstead Car Accident Cases
If you have been involved in an auto accident in Hempstead, it’s important that you don’t put off finding legal representation because time could be running out to file your case. Statutes of limitations apply to all cases filed in New York, and if you do not file within the time period set by state law, you will never be able to file your case.
The statute of limitations for Hempstead accident cases is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, this time limit can change depending on the injuries involved and the facts surrounding the crash. That’s why it’s imperative that you work with a lawyer who thoroughly understands New York law.
The attorneys at Parker Waichman are highly knowledgeable about statutes of limitations for car accident cases because we want to make sure we have enough time to complete our investigation and file your case in the appropriate court. Time is not on your side in an injury claim, so contact our car accident law firm in Hempstead today to ensure that your rights are protected.
The Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections near Hempstead
Parker Waichman LLP has been able to identify some of the most dangerous roads and intersections where auto accidents and pedestrian accidents occur in Hempstead. Some of the other dangerous roads and intersections near Hempstead include:
- Brewster Street, Glen Cove
- Carlton Avenue, Central Islip
- Conklin Street and Route 24, Farmingdale
- Fulton Avenue, Hempstead
- Fulton Street and Route 109, Farmingdale
- Grand Avenue, Baldwin
- Hempstead Turnpike, Elmont
- Islip Avenue, Central Islip
- Jericho Turnpike (Route 25)
- Main Street, East Hampton
- Main Street, Patchogue
- Merrick Road, Lynbrook
- Middle Neck Road, Great Neck Plaza
- Mineola Boulevard, Mineola
- Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton
- Montauk Highway, Shirley-Mastic
- N. Main Street and Merrick Road, Freeport
- Nassau Road, Roosevelt
- Newbridge Road and Broadway, Hicksville
- North Franklin Street, Hempstead
- Park Avenue, Long Beach
- Post Avenue, Westbury
- Roanoke Avenue, Riverhead
- Route 110 and New York Avenue, Huntington Station
- Routes 25A and Route 112, Upper Port Jefferson
- Suffolk Avenue, Brentwood and Central Islip
- Sunrise Highway, Valley Stream to Freeport
- West Merrick Road, Valley Stream
- Wicks Road and 5th Avenue, Brentwood
- William Floyd Parkway, Shirley-Mastic
Frequently Asked Questions
Who determines negligence in a car accident?
What damages can I recover for a car accident?
How long after a car accident can I file a claim?
Who determines negligence in a car accident?
Why Choose Parker Waichman LLP as your Hempstead Car Accident Lawyer?
At Parker Waichman, we are dedicated to helping people. Our accident clients in Hempstead come to us when they are suffering both physically and emotionally, and they depend on our legal professionals to guide them through the process of legal recovery. Our attorneys take that trust very seriously and are committed to providing superior client service backed by our decades of skills and experience.
Our national personal injury law firm has become a top car accident and personal injury firm in New York and in Hempstead, and we have earned numerous accolades and honors throughout the years, including:
- 9.8 out of a perfect 10 on AVVO.com
- “Preeminent Lawyers” AV Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell®
- The highest Ranking of “5 Dragons” by Lawdragon.com
- “Best Lawyers” Peer Review Listing
In hiring Parker Waichman LLP, your case will be handled with compassion and the attention it deserves. Our legal team works tirelessly to deliver justice to people who need it most. We can start a review of your car accident case with one phone call, so contact us today.
Talk With Hempstead Car Accident Attorneys for Free Today
We understand that you and your family may be struggling with medical expenses and lost income because of your accident injuries, and you shouldn’t have to worry about being able to afford a lawyer. That’s why we provide free consultations, and that’s also why we work on a contingency fee basis. That means that we only get paid if you get paid. If you do not receive a settlement or award in your case, we will not receive attorneys’ fees or expenses.
You deserve the best representation and at Parker Waichman, we’re here to help you fight for your legal rights. Contact our dedicated legal team today for your free consultation, either online or by calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
Parker Waichman Hempstead, Long Island
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been hurt in a car accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review