Symbyax Combines 2 Psychotropic Agents. Symbyax is intended for the treatment of depressive episodes associated with bipolar disorder. Symbyax (Generic: Olanzapine and Fluoxetine hci capsules) combines two psychotropic agents, olanzapine (the active ingredient in Zyprexa) and fluoxetine hydrochloride (the active ingredient in Prozac). Olanzapine belongs to the thienobenzodiazepine class. Fluoxetine hydrochloride is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
Currently, Prozac is used for depression, while Zyprexa is used for schizophrenia as well as the short-term treatment of manic episodes. (Incidentally, Zyprexa is also under consideration by the FDA for long-term maintenance of bipolar disorder.)
Common side effects include:
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Increased appetite
- Swelling of hands and feet
- Sore throat
- Lack of concentration
Other side effects may include:
- Severe allergic reactions that cause hives, swelling of your face, eyes, mouth, or tongue, trouble breathing or a rash with fever and joint pain.
- Strokes and “mini-strokes” called transient ischemic attacks (TIAs). These are more common in elderly patients with dementia.
- High blood sugar or diabetes.
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). NMS is a rare, but life-threatening reaction to
- Tardive dyskinesia.
- Low blood pressure.