In which state do lawyers earn the most in the United States? This guide was put together to show you how much of a salary you can expect to earn in your home state. As you will see below, the average range of salaries is incredible.
Click on the image to display at full size
<a href="https://www.yourlawyer.com/library/average-lawyer-salary-per-state/"><img src="https://www.yourlawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/average-salary-lawyer.png" alt="What is the Average Salary for a Lawyer in Each U.S. State?" title="What is the Average Salary for a Lawyer in Each U.S. State? - YourLawyer.com - Infographic"></a><br><a href="https://www.yourlawyer.com" alt="YourLawyer.com" title="YourLawyer.com">By YourLawyer.com</a>
Where Are Lawyers Paid the Most?
According to a 2020 study by Zip Recruiter, lawyers make the most money in New York, where the average annual salary is $88,564, which breaks down to $42.58 per hour. Here are the ten states across America where lawyers are paid the most on average.
- New York: $88,564 ($42.58 per hour)
- Massachusetts: $87,727 ($42.18 per hour)
- Washington: $87,115 ($41.88 per hour)
- New Hampshire: $85,379 ($41.05 per hour)
- Hawaii: $84,256 ($40.51 per hour)
- Maryland: $81,302 ($39.09 per hour)
- Connecticut: $81,276 ($39.08 per hour)
- Rhode Island: $80,615 ($38.76 per hour)
- Alaska: $80,511 ($38.71 per hour)
- Vermont: $80,177 ($38.55 per hour)
The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the demand for lawyers will continue to grow in many different practice areas over the next several years. The projected ten-year outlook for lawyers shows 6% growth (from 823,900 to 874,000 lawyers) from 2018 to 2028.