A recent Baldwin pedestrian accident is currently under investigation after a 55-year-old man was struck and killed near the intersection of Grand Avenue and Sunrise Highway. According to police, the 55-year-old man was attempting to cross Grand Avenue at Sunrise Highway when he was struck by a northbound 2015 Mazda vehicle driven by a 27-year-old man who remained at the scene of the accident.
Local police impounded the 27-year-old man’s vehicle for a safety check. At this time, no criminal charges are pending against the driver. Because the investigation is ongoing, the police have not released the 55-year-old man’s identity.
Steps to Prevent Deadly Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents plague the entire United States, but New York sees an especially large number of pedestrian accidents, many of which are fatal. Designated crosswalks provide a means for pedestrians to get from point A to point B. However, crosswalks are not always enough. Busier intersections may require flashing lights or other signals that alert both drivers and pedestrians. Given the dangerous nature of crossing intersections (especially those that are very busy), both pedestrians and drivers should take extra precautions to help reduce the risk of being involved in an accident. Such precautions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pedestrians should only cross at designated crosswalks, and not in the middle of streets (i.e., jaywalking);
- Both pedestrians and drivers should avoid using phones when approaching and crossing intersections;
- Drivers should always look before crossing an intersection, even if they have a green light;
- Pedestrians should always look both ways before crossing, even if they have a “walk” signal; and
- Drivers should reduce their speed when crossing intersections.
A significant number of pedestrian accidents are preventable. As such, taking small steps can reduce the incidence of pedestrian accidents and save lives.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review