The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned about the risk of lead poisoning with another Bentonite Clay product. In an alert posted last Wednesday, the agency said elevated lead levels were found in “Best Bentonite Clay” made by Best Bentonite. “Exposure to lead can cause serious damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, and immune system. In children, chronic exposure to lead, even at low levels, is associated with cognitive impairment, reduced IQ, behavioral difficulties, and other problems.” the FDA warning states. The product has not been linked to any cases of lead poisoning so far.
The FDA also warned about elevated lead levels with another product, “Bentonite Me Baby” by Alikay Naturals, earlier this year. The FDA was informed of the elevated lead levels by the Minnesota Department of Health. According to the FDA, lead levels of .05 parts per million (ppm) “may constitute a health hazard” in fruit juice. Testing showed that Bentonite Me Baby had a lead concentration of 37.5 ppm.
Bentonite clay is marketed as medicinal clay and claims to treat a variety of conditions. The labeling instructs users to apply the clay topically or ingest it.