The makers of Nestle Quik (Nesquik) chocolate drink powder have been forced to issue a recall on the popular product because it may be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.
According to a report from the L.A. Times, Nestle USA has been notified by the company’s supplier of calcium carbonate that the ingredient may be contaminated with the food-borne pathogen.
There have been no reports of illnesses linked to Nestle Quik drinkers to date but it may be days or weeks before any cases of Salmonella poisoning could be linked to drinking this product, specifically. Nestle Quik and the company’s other chocolate powder products are likely to be consumed by children, a group of people particularly prone to the more serious effects of Salmonella poisoning.
Salmonella poisoning is marked by abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe symptoms could lead to dehydration and other complications that require hospitalization for treatment. Salmonella poisoning can be life-threatening in certain circumstances and even some recent food-based outbreaks of the illness have resulted in death.
Millions of containers of Nestle Quik are sold in the U.S. and worldwide every year. The chocolate powder has been mixed with plain milk for decades to make chocolate milk. The recall involves Nestle Quik products with the expiration date of October 2014.
In announcing the recall, Nestle USA said, “We apologize to our consumers and sincerely regret any inconvenience created by this incident.”
The recall was deemed necessary after the supplier of calcium carbonate, Omya Inc., informed Nestle USA that its product was contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.
Salmonella poisoning is responsible for tens of thousands of illnesses every year. Most infections are never reported because most bouts of Salmonella poisoning present themselves as nothing more than an upset stomach. This product recall could have different results, considering the product is marketed mostly to children and is consumed almost entirely by children.
Symptoms of Salmonella poisoning are often more serious for children, who are more likely to be hospitalized in the treatment of their illness.