Sevca, LLC of Wichita, Kansas, has recalled about 94,000 <"https://www.yourlawyer.com/practice_areas/product_liability">SevylorÂ® Tow Behinds with Quick Hitch Connectors, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) just announced.
The recalled SevylorÂ® Tow Behinds with Quick Hitch Connectors were manufactured by Shanghai Suofeng Plastic Metal Manufactures Co., Ltd., in China. The recall was issued because the Quick Hitch, which connects the towable to the boat, can break and project pieces of the plastic Quick Hitch back towards the boat. If this occurs, an individual can be struck and seriously injured.
To date, Sevca LLC has received one report of an occupant of a boat being struck by a piece of the Quick Hitch still attached to the towrope.
The recalled SevylorÂ® Tow Behinds with Quick Hitch Connectors were sold at department and retail stores nationwide from January 2005 through December 2009 for between about $50 and $240 and involves the following model SevylorÂ® Tow Behinds with Quick Hitch component. The Quick Hitches were manufactured between 2005 and 2009:
* Avenger: Model number 2000002098
* Daytona: Model numbers ST2467 and U362YEL
* Devil Ray: Model number U346RED
* Double Threat: Model numbers ST9007, U350BLK, and U350GRN
* Dragâ€™n Master: Model numbers ST2607 and U363RED
* Flight Blaster: Model numbers ST9401 and U338RED
* Le Biscuit: Model numbers ST2000 and U371RED
* Raging Racer: Model numbers ST2540 and U382PUR
* Super Blaster: Model numbers ST2650, U384BLU, and U384RED
* Triple Blaster: Model number ST9300WM
* Triple Threat: Model numbers ST9300 and U351RED
* Twin Blaster: Model numbers ST9050 and U349YEL
* Velocity Blaster: Model numbers ST9075 and U353YEL
* Wake Zone: Model numbers ST2467WM and U362CMB
The CPSC is advising consumers to immediately stop using their recalled SevylorÂ® Tow Behinds with Quick Hitch Connectors and contact Sevca to receive instructions on how to remove the Quick Hitch from their tow behind and use the tow behind without the Quick Hitch. Consumers will receive a 1-2 person towrope for returning the Quick Hitch. Sevca can be reached toll-free at 1-800-356-3612 between 7:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday, or at the firms’ Web site at www.sevylor.com
In recent years, imports from China have been at the center of safety worries in the United States and other countries. For instance, there was a heparin contamination with a counterfeit ingredient that was implicated in dozens of deaths in the U.S., and hundreds of serious reactions both here and abroad. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also issued recalls of several foods imported from China that may have been tainted with the industrial chemical melamine. Melamine tainted dairy products hospitalized thousands of children in that country.
We have also long been reporting that despite federal lead standards and that many consider lead poisoning to be one of the most important chronic environmental illnesses affecting children today, toysâ€”many imported from Chinaâ€”continue to be made with elements that exceed federal standards and that could pose serious, sometimes fatal, health concerns.