Archdiocese of Louisville knew about child sex-abuse A former Catholic school principal said in a deposition that the Archdiocese of Louisville knew about child sex-abuse allegations against a priest as early as 1975 even though it continued to assign him to parishes where he worked with children.
The Rev. Louis Miller was moved from St. Aloysius Catholic Church during the 1975-76 school year, a couple of days after an eighth-grader alleged that Miller had molested him, said Sister Mary Fulgence Logsdon, the school’s former principal.
Logsdon said she was never interviewed about the allegation before Miller was installed six months later as pastor at St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church, where he is also accused of abusing students.
Miller has been named in dozens of recent lawsuits. A 42-count indictment handed up last month charges him with molesting 15 people.
Miller has pleaded innocent to the charges and is free on dlrs 100,000 bail
Miller has pleaded innocent to the charges and is free on dlrs 100,000 bail. He retired in March and is living in a retirement home for priests. There was no comment Sunday from Miller’s lawyer, David Lambertus, whose office telephone was answered by a recording.
The deposition was obtained last week by The Courier-Journal.
Brian Reynolds, chief administrative officer for the archdiocese, declined to comment to the newspaper about the depositions.
Logsdon said that, to her knowledge, archdiocesan officials never talked to parents or teachers to see if additional children had said they were molested at St. Aloysius.
The current archdiocesan administration has said that it has no record of complaints against Miller during the 1960s or 1970s, but Logsdon said she was told by St. Aloysius’ pastor that the archdiocese knew of the allegation there at the time.
Logsdon, who is now retired, said she didn’t warn the principal at St. Elizabeth about Miller, even though principals in the archdiocese met monthly. “I didn’t think it was my job to do that sort of thing,” she said. “I thought if he had had help and he was OK, who was I to dig up the trash?”
The archdiocese is a defendant in more than 150 suits filed since April accusing 21 priests of sexual misconduct.