TREMONT, BRONX, NEW YORK – A news report posted on abc7ny.com states that more than one dozen people were critically injured, and 17 others were killed in a tragic apartment fire in the Bronx. At least 44 residents were hurt; of those, 13 are “clinging to their life” at local area hospitals. Several of the […]
TREMONT, BRONX, NEW YORK – A news report posted on abc7ny.com states that more than one dozen people were critically injured, and 17 others were killed in a tragic apartment fire in the Bronx. At least 44 residents were hurt; of those, 13 are “clinging to their life” at local area hospitals. Several of the fire victims were intubated.
The fire occurred in a high-rise apartment building on 333 East 181st in the Bronx. The investigation is currently focused on a door that was supposed to close automatically but failed. According to the report, about 200 firefighters fought the five-alarm apartment fire. The fire purportedly started on the third floor of the Twin Parks North West apartment building. The fire started at around 11 in the morning last Sunday.
According to FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro, a defective electric space heater caught a mattress on fire. The apartment renter stated that he only had time to gather his eight children and escape the burning apartment.
The report states that a front door that was supposed to automatically close to encase a fire remained open.
Mayor Eric Adams stated that he wanted to know why the door remained open, causing the smoke to spread throughout the apartment building. Mayor Adams stated that the door is not closing deadly causing smoke to pour into the other areas of the apartment building. The Mayor stated that it may have been a maintenance failure with the door, and that would be a part of the investigation.
The report states that the fire’s flames were kept inside the apartment, and smoke alarms were functioning, but this open door let heavy, toxic smoke pour into the stairwells.
According to Firefighters Association President Andrew Ansbro, the scene was absolutely horrific. He stated that fire rescue crews were performing CPR on several people outside of the apartment. The fire victims were also sent to different hospitals such as Westchester Medical Center, Jacobi Medical Center, and New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell. So far, the names of those who died have not been released.
The news report states that many of the victims are Muslim immigrants from the country of Gambia. Mayor commended the firefighters and emergency services crew members who answered the call and saved many lives.
This is New York City’s deadliest fire in about three decades.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has estimated that 1,100 fires are caused by portable electric heaters each year. The National Fire Protection Association believes that space heaters account for two in five house fires.
Did you or a loved one suffer harm from a defective space heater? Parker Waichman LLP helps those who have suffered injuries after using defective products receive full monetary compensation. Trust your case with our product liability lawsuit lawyers. For a free consultation, contact our law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).