WASHINGTON D.C. – According to an online news report published on FoxSanAntonio.com, over three million Calico Critter toys have been recalled after two small children tragically choked to death using the toy. The Calico Critter toys were sold in a pack with a pacifier and baby bottle accessories. The toys were recalled because they posed a fatal choking danger for children.
The Calico Critter toys were imported from China by Epoch Everlasting Play. Epoch Everlasting Play stated that it is aware of at least three incidents concerning the pacifier accessory toys, including two fatalities. One fatal happening involved a two-year-old New Mexico child back in 2018. The other tragic death affected a Japanese nine-month-old in 2015.
The Calico Critter toy recall affects all Calico Critters flocked animal figurines and sets sold that include bottle and pacifier accessories. The bottle accessories were sold in the following colors: pink, yellow, orange, and blue. One different option of the recalled sets has two yellow handles. The recalled Calico Critter toy pacifier accessories were sold in the following colors: orange, yellow, pink, dark pink, teal, and blue.
The recalled Calico Critter toys were retailed at Meijer, Amazon.com, and Walmart from January 2000 until December 2021.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission stated that customers who have recalled bottle and pacifier accessories should remove the toys from small children and then contact Epoch Everlasting Play for detailed instructions submitting a photo of the recalled bottle and/or pacifier toys and instructions on how to receive a free replacement.
The Steps in Filling a Wrongful Death Product Liability Lawsuit
Filing a wrongful death product liability lawsuit can is a very complicated legal process. If you lost a loved one due to a dangerous or recalled product, contact Parker Waichman LLP for your free case evaluation. The following are the general steps involved in filing a product liability wrongful death lawsuit:
- Determine the legal grounds for the lawsuit: The first step is to determine whether there is a legal basis for a wrongful death product liability lawsuit. This involves establishing that a defective or dangerous product caused the death and that the manufacturer or seller of the product can be held responsible for the death.
- Consult with our national product liability law firm: It is crucial to consult with our experienced product liability to understand the legal aspects of your case. Our attorneys will review the facts of the case and advise the family members of the victim of their legal options.
- Investigate the case: Your attorney will investigate the case by reviewing the medical records, witness statements, and other relevant documents. They may also consult with experts in the field to evaluate the product defect and determine the extent of the damages.
- File the complaint: Your product liability attorney will file the complaint with the court, which sets out the legal basis for the lawsuit and the damages being sought.
- Serve the defendant: The defendant must be served with the complaint and given notice of the lawsuit.
- Discovery: Both sides will engage in a process of discovery, where they exchange documents and evidence related to the case. This includes depositions, where witnesses are questioned under oath.
- Negotiate a settlement: The parties may engage in settlement negotiations to resolve the case before going to trial.
- Go to trial: If a settlement cannot be reached, the case will go to trial. A judge or jury will listen to the evidence and determine whether the defendant is liable for the wrongful death and, if so, the amount of damages that should be awarded.
It’s important to note that the specific steps in a wrongful death product liability lawsuit may vary depending on the facts and circumstances of the case and the jurisdiction in which the lawsuit is filed. An experienced attorney can provide guidance on the specific steps involved in your case..
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products. For a free consultation, call our national product liability law firm by using our live chat or calling us toll-free at 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation