Recalled Baby Car Seats Pose Fall Hazard. Dorel Juvenile Group Inc. has recalled 447,000 infant car seats that pose a fall hazard. According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), the car seat/carriers involved in this recall include those sold under the following brand names: Safety 1st, Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Disney.
These defective car seat/carriers were manufactured from January 6, 2008 through April 6, 2009. The recall involves the following products:
- Safety 1st Sojourn Travel System, with model numbers 22-057 DBY, 22-085 DWA, 22-057 CLN, 22-057 HRT, 22-322 HRR, 22-322 PTK, 22-057 LPH, and 22-085 LYN.
- Safety 1st Eurostar Travel System with model numbers 22-322 KDL, 22-322 LXI, 22-322 OLY, 22-322 PRS, 22-322 MAI, 22-325 COB, and 22-095 RBK.
- Safety 1st Lite Wave Travel System with model numbers 22-380 LGA and 22-380 MSA.
- Safety 1st Vector Travel System with model numbers 22-627 WAV and 22-325 PAC.
- Cosco Sprint Travel System with model numbers 22-300 FZN, 22-300 OSF, 22-300 CSF, 22-300 JJV, 22-300 THD, and 22-300 TWD.
- Disney Propack Travel System with model numbers 22-627 AWF, 22-355 LBF, 22-305 NAB, 22-305 PPH, and 22-355 PWK.
- Eddie Bauer Adventurer Travel System with model numbers 22-627 CGT, 22-627 FRK, 22-627 SNW and 22-627 WPR.
- Eddie Bauer Endeavor Travel System with model numbers 22-627 KGS and 22-655 YTE.
Child Restraint Handle Can Loosen
According to the recall notice, when used as an infant carrier, the child restraint handle to the car seat can loosen and come off, posing a fall hazard to infants. Dorel has received 77 reports of the child restraint handle fully or partially coming off the car seat/carrier resulting in at least three injuries to infants including bumps, bruises and a head injury.
Parents and caregivers should contact Dorel Juvenile Group to receive a free repair kit. Consumers should not use the handle of the car seat/carrier until the repair kit has been installed, however, it can still be used as a car seat when properly installed in the vehicle.
According to the recall notice, the car seat/carriers were sold with Travel Systems. The stroller portion of the travel system is not affected by this recall.
For additional information, contact Dorel Juvenile Group at (866) 762-3316 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.djgusa.com/safety_notice.