Brown Shoe Recall Childrens Clogs After Posing Chocking Hazard. Brown Shoe Co. Inc., of St. Louis, Missouri and its affiliate, Pagoda International Footwear Ltd., of Hong Kong have recalled about 1.4 million Buster Brown & Co.’s Clog Children’s Shoes. Of note, about 73,000 pair of shoes were previously recalled in April 2009, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced.
The recall has been initiated because the defective shoe has decorative wheels that can detach, posing a choking hazard to young children. To date, said the CPSC, the companies have received two reports of a decorative wheel detaching from the shoe. No injuries have been reported.
This recall involves the Buster Brown & Co. clog children’s shoes with model or retail numbers listed below. These shoes are a plastic molded EVA “water” clog and are designed to resemble a car. The shoes are red, brown, blue, yellow, and pink and most shoes bear the words “CARS,” “Transformers Animated,” or “Barbie.” “Buster Brown & Co.™” is printed on the shoe inside at the heel, on a sewn-in tag inside the fleece-lined shoe, and on the original hang tag. The model or retail number can also be found on these tags. The shoes were sold in children sizes 5 to 13 and youth sizes 1-3.
The recalled shoes—which were manufactured in China—were sold at major retailers nationwide, including Bealls’, Famous Footwear, J.C. Penney, Meijer, Rack Room, Sears, Shoe Show, Target, and Wal-Mart from August 2007 through June 2009 and retailed for $10 to $25.
The CPSC is advising customers to immediately take this product away from children and return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Buster Brown & Co. can be reached toll-free at 1-888-869-1044 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday and between 10:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Central Time on Saturday, at the firm’s website at www.busterbrownshoes.com, or by email to Busterandtige@brownshoe.com.
Recalled Products Code And Shoe/Model Numbers
The following shoes are involved in the recent recall:
- Shoe/Model Number: CARS Clog – 83893; Retailer/Number: AMAZON.COM 117B81; BEALLS’ 3893-60; J.C. PENNEY 010-4231; MEIJER 830873, 830870; NOVUS 792794; PAYLESS SHOESOURCE 59920; RACK ROOM SHOES 422053; SEARS 89065, 49041; SHOE SHOW 442041, 346304; TARGET 93065072-80, 093060312-313, 093021564-1572; TARGET.COM 93065072-80, 093060312-313, 093021564-1572; VALUE CITY 3249364; WAL-MART STORES 9295815, 9295824, 2571648, 2571613, 2571627, 2571606, 2571620, 2571634, 2571641, 2571588, 2571599, 2571574, 2571581.
- Shoe/Model Number: CARS Clog – 84972; Retailer/Number: K-MART, 84972; PAYLESS SHOESOURCE, 59920, 60397, 61117.
- Shoe/Model Number: CARS Mater Clog – 84949; Retailer/Number: AMAZON.COM, 708B21; RACK ROOM SHOES, 422061; SHOE SHOW, 344297, 346493; VALUE CITY, 3249406.
- Shoe/Model Number: CARS Mater Fleece Clog – 93728; Retailer/Number: WAL-MART STORES, 9812368, 2594651.
- Shoe/Model Number: Transformers Animated Fleece Clog – 95420; Retailer/Number: WAL-MART STORES, 9812089, 2594695, 2594658, 594665, 2594672, 2594679, 2594686.
- Shoe/Model Number: Transformers Animated Clog – 89749; Retailer/Number: HUMBERTO VIDAL 3428-258; PAYLESS SHOESOURCE, 65744, 66046; SHOE SHOW, 346593.
- Shoe/Model Number: Barbie Clog – 84938; Retailer/Number: AMAZON.COM, 208B30; VALUE CITY, 3249505; WAL-MART STORES 9295917, 2572148, 2572050, 572057, 2572064, 2572071, 2572078.
In recent years, imports from China have been at the center of safety worries in the United States and other countries. But, despite alleged problems with some imports, especially of children’s toys and products such defective products continue to be made with elements that exceed federal standards or that could pose serious, sometimes fatal, health concerns.
Need Legal Help Regarding Childrens Clogs?
The personal injury attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP offer free, no-obligation case evaluations. For more information, fill out our online contact form or call 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529).