Magnetized Building Sets Are Being Pulled From Store Shelves. A Utah store pulls a popular toy from store shelves after a two-year-old boy from Washington state swallowed pieces of the magnetized building set and died.
Smith’s Marketplace stores in Utah are among retailers nationwide joining in a voluntary recall of Magnetix until the investigation is complete.
Boy Died After Swallowing Magnets From The Toy
Last month, Kenny Sweet, of Redmond, Washington, died after swallowing two magnets that fell off his older brother’s Magnetix. One magnet got stuck at one end of his gastrointestinal tract and the other got stuck at the other end. Eventually, they pinched his intestines closed and he died from septic shock.
The U-S Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating whether or not the toy is safe.
Kroger Company, which owns Smith’s Food and Drug, Fred Meyer and other stores has pulled the product from its shelves. Other companies, such as Toys R Us, are waiting for a verdict from the C-P-S-C before they pull their stock of Magnetix.