Recall on DR Power Chipper Shredders Highlight Laceration Risks
DR Power Equipment has voluntarily recalled a range of its chipper shredders, citing concerns over potential laceration hazards. This recall involves several models of DR Power Equipment Chipper Shredders, specifically those with model numbers CS35050BEN, CS35050BENR, CS35050BENSD, CS35150BEN, CS35150BENR, CS35150BENSD, CS35150DEN, CS45040DMN, CS45040DEN, CS45040DENR, CS45040DMNR, CS43030DMN, and CS43030DMNR.
The recall was instigated on September 21, 2023, after the company received 79 reports of metal parts dislodging or becoming loose inside the housing of the chipper shredder, including two reports of injuries caused by ejected metal pieces. Additionally, three reports were made about the hopper detaching unexpectedly from the shredder, resulting in one minor abrasion injury. In response to these reports, DR Power Equipment has urged consumers to cease using the recalled chipper shredders immediately and get in touch with them for a full refund or free repair, including shipping costs.
Customers can identify the affected units by their distinctive orange and black colors and a funnel at the top designated for shredding brush. For models commencing with CS3, the model number can be found on the side of the unit, whereas for those starting with CS4, the model and serial numbers are printed on a white label located on the base of the machine, to the left of the engine manual start handle. Approximately 5,900 units are implicated in this recall, with an additional 90 having been sold in Canada.
The models beginning with CS3 were available for purchase between September 2019 and August 2023, priced between $3,000 and $3,800, from authorized DR Power Equipment dealers nationwide and online at drpower.com. The models with numbers starting with CS4 were sold from August 2022 through July 2023, with prices ranging from $945 to $1,500.
Generac Power Systems Inc., headquartered in Waukesha, Wisconsin, is the manufacturer of these chipper shredders, while DR Power Equipment, based in South Burlington, Vermont, is the distributor. All the affected products were manufactured in the United States.
Concerned consumers can reach DR Power. Detailed information regarding this recall can be accessed online at http://lvtbrc.com/ or www.drpower.com by clicking on “Product Recalls” at the bottom of the page.
Implications and Consumer Safety
This recall underscores the importance of consumer safety and the need for vigilance in product usage. The reports of laceration hazards and minor injuries highlight the potential risks associated with using potentially defective equipment. The company’s swift action to recall the products, offer refunds or repairs, and openly communicate about the issue illustrates their commitment to consumer safety and product reliability. Nonetheless, consumers are encouraged to be cautious and adhere to the recall instructions to avoid any harm or inconvenience.
The Types of Injuries That Could Be Caused By This Recalled Product
The recall of DR Power Equipment’s Chipper Shredders brings to light the myriad of potential injuries that users could sustain. These injuries could range in severity, highlighting the essentiality of heeding recall warnings promptly. Here are several types of injuries that could be encountered:
- Lacerations: Given the nature of the recalled products, lacerations or cuts are the foremost concerns. Loose or detached metal parts can lead to deep, potentially severe cuts, necessitating medical intervention and possibly leading to secondary complications like infections if not treated appropriately.
- Abrasions: The recall has already noted instances of abrasions due to hoppers detaching from the shredders unexpectedly. Abrasions, while generally less severe than lacerations, can still pose a risk of infection and can be particularly painful depending on the depth and location.
- Bruising and Contusions: If metal parts or the hopper detach and strike the user, it could result in significant bruising or contusions, potentially affecting underlying tissues and leading to more severe medical conditions depending on the impact’s location and force.
- Blunt Force Trauma: The ejection of metal parts with significant force can lead to blunt force trauma, potentially causing internal injuries, fractures, or concussions, depending on where the user is struck.
- Eye Injuries: Ejected pieces of metal pose a severe risk to the eyes, potentially leading to partial or complete loss of vision, punctures, or other serious ocular damage requiring immediate medical attention.
- Crushing Injuries: Given the weight of the components, there is a risk of crushing injuries if any parts become detached and fall onto the user, which could lead to fractures or internal damage.
- Infections: Any break in the skin, be it through a laceration, abrasion, or puncture, serves as a potential entry point for bacteria, possibly leading to infections that can range from mild to severe.
- Psychological Trauma: Beyond physical injuries, users experiencing accidents with this equipment may endure psychological trauma or stress disorders, affecting their mental well-being and potentially leading to long-term impacts on their quality of life.
Acknowledging the injuries possible with the use of the recalled Chipper Shredders underscores the critical nature of this recall. Consumers owning these products should immediately cease their use and contact DR Power Equipment to ensure their safety and well-being, thereby mitigating the risk of enduring any of the aforementioned injurious outcomes.
If you or a loved one have been harmed by this recalled DR Power Equipment Chipper Shredder, contact Parker Waichman LLP for your free case review. Those harmed by this dangerous product have a short period of time to file their claim.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation