Norfolk Woman Sounds Alarm After Accidentally Purchasing Recalled Electric Blanket
NORFOLK, Va. – Buying secondhand products online is an increasingly common practice, but it’s not without risks. A recent incident in Norfolk has spotlighted the dangers of purchasing recalled items unknowingly, prompting urgent calls for increased awareness and vigilance.
Jessica Gurley, a resident of Norfolk, Virginia, had a close call after purchasing a Bedsure Electric Blanket from a local discount store. It was only after buying the product and researching it online that she discovered the blanket had been recalled due to fire and burn risks.
The excitement of Gurley’s purchase quickly turned to shock and fear when she realized that the blanket was part of a recall issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The federal agency recalled the Bedsure Electric Blanket and Pad in March, warning of the potential dangers.
Gurley expressed her concerns, stating, “It scared me to think that people are not going to look it up and are not going to know it is a recalled blanket and plug it in and cause a fire at their house. It just scared me.”
The Problem with Secondhand Online Purchasing
While secondhand stores and online marketplaces offer many benefits, there are significant challenges in ensuring that recalled and dangerous items are filtered out.
Oriene Shin, Policy Council for Consumer Reports, highlights this ongoing issue: “While it’s getting better, a lot of platforms that host secondary marketplaces like used products and are still not catching everything.”
Even systems designed to flag recalled items may miss products that are not listed by their full name.
Protecting Yourself and Your Family
As Gurley’s experience demonstrates, consumers must be proactive in ensuring the safety of the products they purchase.
Here’s how you can protect yourself and your loved ones:
- Check for Recalls: Use websites like cpsc.gov to verify the safety of a product.
- Search Online: A simple search with the brand, model, serial number, and manufacture date can reveal vital information.
- Join Advocacy Groups: Some groups actively look for recalled items online and report them.
A Wake-Up Call for Consumers
This incident has been a wake-up call not just for Gurley, but also for others who may take the safety of resale items for granted. Gurley’s warning resonates with all consumers: “Just be careful. Do not take for granted that these things are checked and reviewed before they are put out to resell.”
Gurley reported the recalled blanket to the store, CPSC, and Fire Marshal. The store has since temporarily closed, although a connection with the incident has not been confirmed.
The case of the recalled electric blanket serves as a stark reminder of the hidden dangers that may lurk in seemingly harmless purchases. As consumers continue to explore the benefits of buying secondhand items, they must also be aware of the potential risks and take active measures to ensure their safety.
How to Begin the Product Injury Claims Process for Injuries Caused By Recalled Infant Sleepers
When a family experiences injury or harm due to a recalled infant sleeper, the emotional toll can be overwhelming. It’s a situation that no parent should ever have to face. If you find yourself in such a situation, seeking legal redress may be a viable option to get the compensation you deserve. Below is a guide on how to begin the product injury claims process for injuries caused by recalled infant sleepers.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Your child’s health is the top priority. Seek medical care immediately to assess and treat any injuries.
- Gather Evidence and Documentation:
- Collect all relevant evidence, including the recalled product itself, photographs of the injury, medical records, purchase receipts, and any correspondence with the manufacturer or retailer.
- Take note of the product’s make, model, and serial number.
- Report the Incident:
- Notify the retailer and manufacturer of the product.
- Report the incident to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) at www.SaferProducts.gov.
- Consult with Our Product Liability Attorneys: Our firm focuses its practice on product injury claims and our attorneys can help you understand your legal rights and options.
- File a Formal Claim:
- Your attorney will guide you through the process of filing a formal claim against the responsible parties.
- This may include the manufacturer, distributor, retailer, or other entities involved in the product’s chain of distribution.
- Negotiate a Settlement or Proceed to Trial: Many product liability claims result in a negotiated settlement. If an agreement cannot be reached, your attorney may advise proceeding to trial.
- Stay Informed and Follow Your Attorney’s Advice: Stay engaged with your legal counsel, follow their advice, and attend all required meetings and hearings.
Filing a claim for injuries caused by a recalled infant sleeper is a complex and often emotionally taxing process. Having experienced legal guidance, acting promptly, and gathering comprehensive evidence can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Remember, each situation is unique, and the above steps are general guidelines. It’s essential to consult with a qualified product liability attorney to understand your specific rights and options.
The pain of an injury caused by a recalled infant sleeper can be compounded by the feeling of betrayal from companies that are supposed to prioritize safety. By pursuing legal action, families can seek accountability and compensation, contributing to a broader push for safer products and practices in the industry.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products like this defective product. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation