CPSC Announced The Recall Of Freezers And Refrigerators. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall of approximately 112,000 Automatic Defrost Upright Freezers and Refrigerators manufactured by WC Wood Company between September 2002 and February 2004.
These units were sold at home improvement and appliance stores between September 2002 and February 2005.
The single-door frost-free upright freezers (15, 17 and 20 cubic feet) and all 17-cubic foot automatic defrost refrigerators pose a potential shock hazard to consumers. The defrost heater coil in some units can become exposed, resulting in a shock hazard, and the exposed heater wire can also melt or burn the unit’s interior plastic food liner.
Incidents Of Heater Coil Being Exposed
WC Woods received 45 reports of incidents of the defrost heater coil being exposed. None of these incidents resulted in an electrical shock and no injuries were reported.
These units were sold under the Amana, Crosley, Danby, Maytag, Whirlpool and Wood’s brands. The freezers and refrigerators come in black, white, or stainless steel. The brand name is written on the front of the unit. The manufacturer’s label, with the model number and date of manufacture, is located inside the appliance on the front top left-hand corner.
The label names and model numbers involved in the recall are as follows:
· Amana – Model Numbers beginning with: AFU1567, AFU1767, AFU2067
· Crosley – Model Numbers beginning with: FFCR17, WCF15, WCF17, WCF20
· Danby – Model Numbers beginning with: DUF1700, DFF1708
· Maytag – Model Numbers beginning with: MQU1556, MQU2057
· Whirlpool – Model Numbers beginning with: EV150NXM, EV170NYL, EV171NYM, EV200NXK, EV201NXM, EL7ATRRK, EL7ATRRM, EL7JWKLM, EL7JWKRM
· Wood’s – Model Numbers beginning with: F15, F17, F20, F42, F47, F55, WFF15, WFF17, WFF20, RFA17, RFC17, R47F
Consumers should contact WC Wood at 866-493-3314 for a free in-home repair.