According to a new report published on nbcboston.com, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has alerted the public to nine potentially harmful, menthol-based hand sanitizer products manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico. The FDA stated that methanol is not a safe ingredient for use in hand sanitizer because methanol can become toxic when the chemical is ingested or absorbed through the skin. The FDA states that the side effects of methanol exposure include vomiting, nausea, headaches, permanent blindness, blurred vision, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system, seizures, and death.
The FDA alleges that Lavar Gel and CleanCare NoGerm tested these products and found these products contain methanol triggering the FDA recommending Eskbiochem recall its products. Eskbiochem has not taken action as of the publish date of the NBCBoston.com article. The FDA recommends consumers halt the use of the following nine products identified by the FDA:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
An Eskbiochem representative explained to The New York Times that the company did not find out about the new FDA warning until this past Monday. The spokesperson also stated that a “broker” registered their products with the FDA but shipped the products without the company’s knowledge.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been harmed by a dangerous product?Click To Get A Free Case Review