According to a news report posted on kentucky.com, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the recall of more than 300,000 power generators due to finger amputation and crush risks. A few days later, the CPSC announced that a repair kit was now available that would prevent finger injuries associated with the recalled power generators. The precise problem involves the location of the generators’ handles. The handles are too close to certain moving parts and can cause users to suffer severe finger injuries and amputations. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s recall alert states that “An unlocked handle can pinch consumers’ fingers against the generator frame when the generator is moved, posing finger amputation and crushing hazards.”
The recall was first initiated back in July 2021. However, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall once again after Generac received 16 additional finger amputation reports and four finger crush injury reports. So far, there have been 24 amputations and five crush injuries reported to the manufacturer.
The recall involves the following units and models:
- XT8000E with model numbers G0064330, G0064331, G0064340 and G0064342;
- XT8000EFI with these model numbers: G0071620, G0071621 and G0071621R;
- GP6500 with model numbers G0076720, G0076800, G0076800R, G0076812, G0076830, G0076902, G0076902R and G0076903;
- GP6500E that have model numbers G0076820, G0076820R and G0076822;
- GP8000E with model numbers G0076731, G0076751R, G0076751, G0076761, G0076761R, G0076861 and G0076861R;
- Pro 6500M that have the following model numbers: GP16505DMN and GP1650DMNR;
- Pro 6500E with model numbers GP16505DEN; and
- Homelink 6500E that have model numbers G0068650, G0068651, and G0079960.
Customers who own one of the recalled generators should immediately stop using their generator and contact Generac to receive a free set of spacers. The spacers move the handles further away from the generator’s frame, which should eliminate the finger-pinching danger. To receive the free spacer kit or to receive answers to your questions about the recall, contact Generac.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products. For your free consultation, contact our product liability lawyers today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation