Gree, a leading consumer electronics company, has issued a recall for a staggering 1.56 million dehumidifiers after they were found to pose fire and burn hazards. Reports indicate that the dehumidifiers, under various brand names, can overheat, emit smoke, and even catch fire. So far, at least 23 fires have been directly linked to these devices, resulting in $168,000 in property damage.
The recalled products encompass 42 models of dehumidifiers, carrying brand names such as Kenmore, GE, SoleusAir, Norpole, and Seabreeze. They were produced between January 2011 and February 2014.
These devices can be identified by their model number and date code printed on a sticker located on the back, front, or side of the unit. They come in white, beige, gray, or black plastic, with dimensions ranging from 19 to 24 inches in height, 13 to 15 inches in width, and 9 to 11 inches in depth.
A detailed list of recalled models, including their capacities, has been provided. Among the most prominent are all models under the Kenmore and GE brands. Some specific models from SoleusAir include GM-DEH-30M-1Q3, SG-DEH-70E-2L3, and GL-DEH-70EIP-6L3. Seabreeze’s DH470SB and Norpole’s NPDH30PG-1 have also been flagged.
Customers who have purchased any of these dehumidifiers are urged to cease usage immediately, unplug the devices, and reach out to Gree for a full refund. To facilitate the process, Gree has set up a waitlist, which consumers can join via their [official website](https://global.gree.com/usa/channels/840.html). Upon signing up, further instructions on registering for the recall will be provided within 6 to 8 weeks.
The dehumidifiers were retailed at several major outlets, including Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, Sam’s Club, Sears, and Walmart, from 2011 to 2014, with prices ranging from $110 to $400.
These dehumidifiers were manufactured by Gree Electric Appliances, Inc. of Zhuhai in China. Distributors involved in their sale include GE Appliances of Louisville, Kentucky; Gree USA Sales Ltd., of City of Industry, California; IRP, of Pineville, North Carolina; MC Appliance Corp. of Wood Dale, Illinois; and MJC America Ltd. dba Soleus International Inc., of Walnut, California.
In light of this massive recall, consumers are reminded of the importance of regularly checking and maintaining household appliances and to always stay updated on product recalls to ensure the safety of their homes and loved ones.
The recalled dehumidifiers by Gree have caused several concerning incidents. Here are the damages reported:
- Fires: At least 23 fires have been directly associated with these malfunctioning dehumidifiers.
- Overheating: There have been 688 reports of the devices overheating. Overheating can potentially lead to fires, electrical short circuits, and can pose a direct burn hazard to consumers.
- Property Damage: Monetary damages resulting from incidents related to these dehumidifiers have been estimated at $168,000. This figure includes damages from fires, potential water damage from malfunctioning units, and other related incidents.
In addition to the tangible damages, there are intangible risks like the potential emotional and psychological stress experienced by homeowners who suffered fires or other accidents caused by these dehumidifiers.
Consumers are strongly advised to immediately stop using the affected units and contact Gree for a refund to prevent further potential hazards.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products like this defective product. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation