A federal lawsuit has been filed against Instant Brands by an Alabama woman who claims to have suffered disfigurement after using its Instant Pot pressure cooker. The lawsuit, filed on March 14, 2023, in federal court in Alabama, alleges that the woman would use the Instant Pot to prepare family meals until one day, “scalding hot” food unexpectedly burst out and burned her. The complaint claims that this incident resulted in lasting disfigurement for the woman.
The complaint also accuses Instant Brands of selling pressure cookers with dangerous defects and falsely advertising them as safe. The company sells several Instant Pot models, including the Instant Pot IP-LUX Electric Pressure Cooker that the woman claims caused her injury. Instant Brands has not yet commented on the lawsuit.
The woman is represented by a product liability law firm. Her lawsuit seeks to recover damages for past, present, and future physical and emotional pain.
The complaint alleges that the design of the product is supposed to prevent consumers from lifting the Instant Pot lids, which are meant to remain locked, while the cooker is pressurized. However, the woman claims that she was able to open and rotate the pressure cooker’s lid while it was pressurized, causing its hot contents to burst out and burn her. The complaint argues that the product was negligently designed and that Instant Brands ignored defects to prioritize profit over safety. The lawsuit was filed on March 13, 2023, and includes counts of negligence and wantonness.
How to File a Product Liability Lawsuit After Sustaining Serious Injuries?
If a defective product has injured you, you may have a valid product liability claim against the manufacturer, distributor, or seller of the product.
Here are the general steps for filing a products liability lawsuit:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first step after being injured is to seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Your health and well-being should always be your top priority.
- Preserve Evidence: Try to preserve any evidence related to the defective product, such as the product itself, packaging, instructions, and any receipts or documents related to the purchase. If possible, take photos or videos of the product and the injuries you sustained.
- Contact our Products Liability Attorneys: Product liability cases can be complex and require specific legal knowledge. It is important to contact an attorney who specializes in product liability cases as soon as possible. They can evaluate your case, advise you on your legal rights, and guide you through the legal process.
- Investigation: Once you have retained an attorney, your attorney will investigate your case, gather evidence, and determine who is liable for your injuries. They may consult with experts to assess the defect and how it caused your injuries.
- Filing the Lawsuit: Once your attorney has determined who is responsible for your injuries, they will file a lawsuit on your behalf in the appropriate court. The lawsuit will outline the legal claims and damages sought.
- Discovery: Both sides will engage in a process called discovery, where they exchange information and evidence related to the case. This may include depositions, interrogatories, and requests for documents.
- Settlement or Trial: In some cases, the parties may reach a settlement before trial. If not, the case will go to trial, where a jury will determine if the defendant is liable for your injuries and the amount of damages to be awarded.
It’s important to note that product liability laws vary by state and jurisdiction, and there may be specific procedures and time limits for filing a lawsuit. It’s important to consult with an experienced products liability attorney to ensure that your legal rights are protected.
If you or a loved one were seriously burned or injured due to a defective pressure cooker or Instant Pot, you could be entitled to recover substantial financial compensation. The time to file your claim is limited by state law, so do not delay in contacting our national product injury law firm. Parker Waichman LLP is a leading national injury law firm with extensive experience in handling injury and wrongful death cases. Our injury attorneys are ready to help you receive just monetary compensation.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by a dangerous product. For your free consultation, contact our law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation