MASSACHUSETTS – As reported in an online news article by wbjournal.com, state legislators have introduced a bill that would require vehicles with keyless ignition to have auto-stop technology to help prevent deaths resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Massachusetts legislature has introduced a bill that requires all vehicles with keyless ignition to also have auto-stop technology which will help to reduce deaths from carbon monoxide inhalation and poisoning. The purpose of the proposed law is to address the growing number of deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. More than half of the vehicles sold nationwide have keyless ignition, yet no federal government agency is required to keep a record of how many carbon monoxide deaths are related to vehicles with keyless ignition.
The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) filed rules related to keyless ignition vehicles and automatic shutdown technology in 2011; however, the NHTSA cited “persistent industry opposition” as the reason why the NHTSA never implemented rules or established a standard for how to regulate keyless ignition vehicles.
Massachusetts state lawmakers assert that because the federal government has not taken steps to ensure laws, rules and regulations require keyless ignition vehicles to have auto-stop technology, the states must take action on their own to establish laws that are aimed at protecting individuals from unnecessary carbon monoxide exposure and subsequent poisoning, which can be fatal.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
According to mayoclinic.org, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal, and other fuels. When carbon monoxide enters a person’s bloodstream, that person is at risk of sustaining serious injuries, such as tissue damage, or death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Nausea and/or vomiting;
- Shortness of breath;
- Blurred vision; and
- Loss of consciousness.
Because exposure to carbon monoxide can be serious and life-threatening, it is crucial that any person who believes he or she is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning seek immediate medical treatment.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been injured carbon monoxide poisoning?Click To Get A Free Case Review